Hey Apple, now that the nMP is here...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by zephonic, Jan 14, 2014.

1. zephonic macrumors 65816

zephonic

...how about a qwerty keyboard with black keys? You know, like on the notebooks?
    And please, not just the wireless one, also the one with the numpad.

"Ya gotta coordinate..." (John Witherspoon in Boomerang)

Thank you.

Z

2. simsaladimbamba

Yeah, Apple does not really send its minions here to get feedback, they have a dedicated website for that.

3. chfilm macrumors 65816

chfilm

I just send them feedback.

4. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

I'm always surprised when I see Professionals actually using the Apple keyboards and Mice. Frankly there are much better keyboards out there that will actually match the Mac Pro (my Das Mechanical keyboard for example)....

5. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

Better is subjective. I'm glad you've been able to find a keyboard you like. I like having the same layout/feel on my desktop and my laptop -- so the Apple keyboards are ideal for me. I was a huge IBM Model M fan (and later Northgate Omnikey) in the '80s, but now when I use those old, clunky mechanical style keyboards the long key throw feels bizarre and eventually my hands ache. I can't imagine trying to use one full time these days. I guess I'm not a Professional in your eyes. :)

6. m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

And yes, make that a black keyboard with some nice backlit!:)

7. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

To each his own, but I'm going to guess that probably 1% of Professionals who would buy the Mac Pro (and actually use the Mac Pro for real work that is not those who just buy it because it "looks cool"), would actually use the Apple branded Keyboards and Mice. The studios I've been in with Mac gear, rarely use any of their input devices.... Granted, it's only a few, but most prefer something with more feedback and/or a more ergonomic layout (and prefer pointing devices with LOTS of buttons for short cuts).

And frankly, if you are doing real work are you really concerned if your Keyboard matches the tower? Most likely you probably aren't using an Apple branded Monitor either so you already have a mis-match of gear. I doubt your editing equipment matches the tower and/or the monitor either and the rest of Apple's lineup (Macbook Pros, Macbook Airs, Mini's and iMacs) still use the brushed aluminum so it still (for the most part) matches.

8. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

You could have just stopped your post here and not lost any data.

9. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I must say that I am the complete opposite. I tried to use the Apple keyboards (both wired and wireless) and the lack of key travel completely kills it for me.

10. zephonic, Jan 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014

zephonic thread starter macrumors 65816

zephonic

I have no reliable data, but in my nearly fifteen years I have never seen a studio using Macs with anything other than Apple's own input devices. At the most, they would have the Logic or ProTools overlays.

I'm still on an old '09 quadcore, but I do find the backlit black keys on my '13 MacBookAir a step up from the white ones on my wired keyboard+numpad.

White keys get dirty quick. Had the same on the older white keyboard that came with my '07 iMac.

It took me a few minutes to get used to the new keyboards, but now I find them much faster and less tiresome to type on for sustained periods of time.

11. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

Find an old MacBook and swap the white keys for black on a wired keyboard ;)

12. Bear macrumors G3

Here's a real Mac Keyboard that is black - dasKeyboard.

This, Also, the lack of any real tactile feedback.

13. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

Nice looking keyboard I was about to order myself one for $133 but it's not black, it's dark blue, and that's all that's available.

14. Bear macrumors G3

"Clicky- MX Blue" is not the color of the keyboard, it's the type of key switches that are being used.. The keyboard is black.

15. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

Ahh, gotcha.. I realized the Clicky referred to the keys, but I thought the MX Blue was some variation of Midnight Blue. Thanks for the clarification.

16. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Would be a no-brainer if they offered it with Cherry MX Brown switches as well instead of just blue. My only complaint...been asking them for years :(

----------

To follow that up...the right keyboard can be so nice sometimes that it even trumps the computer.

I've found myself working from my "gaming PC" more than my Mac(s) recently because of my Corsair K70 mechanical keyboard with brown switches...so nice to type on! I know I could use it on my Macs but I really don't like using Windows specific keyboards with OS X.

17. Cisco_Kid macrumors 6502

Cisco_Kid

Should have stopped right there.

The medical research facility where I work runs billions of calculations every day while trying to find cures for infectious diseases, every single Mac workstation has an Apple keyboard and Magic Mouse.

Real work, or just play time according to you?

18. motegi macrumors regular

I'd love a keyboard with MX Browns, but mechs are still just so LOUUUDDD, I'd end up being maimed by everyone around me in about 5 seconds.

19. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

Put O-Rings around the keys.

20. resotek macrumors member

Quoted for truth! I started on a VIC-20 right on up through the IBM tactile keyboards. Then I used my first Apple Aluminum keyboard and it was love at first touch. For me, the short throws are so much easier to use all day long. I can't even use a long stroke keyboard anymore. Maybe it's just the developer in me, but I depend on my typing all day, everyday, and have for 20+ years. I think Apple got it right.

21. MattInOz macrumors 68030

MattInOz

Would be better match to iMac as well.
    Better still make the full length keyboard same low profile but wireless power and communication.