HEY APPLE YOU CAN PUT A TOUCH SCREEN ON A LAPTOP

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Danjrel, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Danjrel macrumors regular

or others can. Omg. But touch bar is gonna blow that away!!!

Why no touch screen ?

2. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

You might get more sympathy talking about laptops in a laptop forum instead of a desktop forum.

3. Danjrel thread starter macrumors regular

They make touch screen all in one desktops too. Lol

4. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

Tim and Phil et al have already addressed that several times in the past. The Mac and iOS devices are distinct categories that serve different purposes, and convergence is not planned in the foreseeable future.

5. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

Oh yes I know. Many of our clients absolutely insist on touchscreens so we install touchscreens (this is for Windows).

Then later when we do customer site visits, literally nobody is touching the screens, ever. It all sounds great in theory, but for desktop users lifting your arms up and away from the keyboard and mouse is slow and tiring.

6. JimGoshorn macrumors 6502

JimGoshorn

The only instance where I think a touchscreen would be good is for someone who is in graphic arts.

7. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

A touch screen on a laptop makes no sense. For one, merging a touch-based os and a mouse-based os is always going to result in a compromised experience. Secondly, the ergonomics of sticking your arm out to touch the screen aren't great. Your arm gets fatigued, the screen wobbles, your hand blocks the screen, etc. The touch bar makes way more sense, and I think it will prove itself a much more useful tool than a touchscreen laptop.

8. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

So, why do you value a touchscreen laptop? What are you going to use it for?

9. Danjrel thread starter macrumors regular

For the money. Should be included. Who cares if u use it or not. Just nice to have if you wanted it.

10. Jaho101 macrumors member

Replacing the trackpad with a giant touch screen will probably happen at some point, that'd actually be useful.

11. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Why dont you ask for gold plating instead then?

12. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

Not if the UI isn't designed for a finger, and Apple already has one dedicated to the hardware built with a touchscreen.

13. mijail macrumors 6502

Facepalm.

I'm positive that there are plenty of manufacturers (and even plain corner shops) that will rig whatever you want "for the money". Go wild!

(Even, why stop at "whatever you want"? Take their suggestions too, and go double-wild!)

14. Danjrel thread starter macrumors regular

Well it's better than touch bar. Not that useful unless u like emojis lol

15. SnoFlo macrumors regular

SnoFlo

Well, touchscreen laptops / 2-in-1s really come alive when combined with the active pen digitizer. If you're interested you can check out the few studies available comparing test subject comprehension and recall among note-takers using typing on a keyboard and handwriting, respectively. Handwriting trumps typing for recall and comprehension, which isn't a real surprise to me.