HEY APPLE YOU CAN PUT A TOUCH SCREEN ON A LAPTOP

Danjrel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2016
or others can. Omg. But touch bar is gonna blow that away!!!

Why no touch screen ?

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
They make touch screen all in one desktops too.
Oh yes I know. Many of our clients absolutely insist on touchscreens so we install touchscreens (this is for Windows).

Then later when we do customer site visits, literally nobody is touching the screens, ever. It all sounds great in theory, but for desktop users lifting your arms up and away from the keyboard and mouse is slow and tiring.

JimGoshorn

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2009
NY
The only instance where I think a touchscreen would be good is for someone who is in graphic arts.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
A touch screen on a laptop makes no sense. For one, merging a touch-based os and a mouse-based os is always going to result in a compromised experience. Secondly, the ergonomics of sticking your arm out to touch the screen aren't great. Your arm gets fatigued, the screen wobbles, your hand blocks the screen, etc. The touch bar makes way more sense, and I think it will prove itself a much more useful tool than a touchscreen laptop.

Pakaku

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2009
So, why do you value a touchscreen laptop? What are you going to use it for?

Danjrel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2016
For the money. Should be included. Who cares if u use it or not. Just nice to have if you wanted it.

Jaho101

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2007
Replacing the trackpad with a giant touch screen will probably happen at some point, that'd actually be useful.

Reactions: h9826790

Pakaku

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2009
Replacing the trackpad with a giant touch screen will probably happen at some point, that'd actually be useful.
Not if the UI isn't designed for a finger, and Apple already has one dedicated to the hardware built with a touchscreen.

mijail

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2010
For the money. Should be included. Who cares if u use it or not. Just nice to have if you wanted it.
Facepalm.

I'm positive that there are plenty of manufacturers (and even plain corner shops) that will rig whatever you want "for the money". Go wild!

(Even, why stop at "whatever you want"? Take their suggestions too, and go double-wild!)

Danjrel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2016
Well it's better than touch bar. Not that useful unless u like emojis lol

SnoFlo

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2010
Well, touchscreen laptops / 2-in-1s really come alive when combined with the active pen digitizer. If you're interested you can check out the few studies available comparing test subject comprehension and recall among note-takers using typing on a keyboard and handwriting, respectively. Handwriting trumps typing for recall and comprehension, which isn't a real surprise to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.