Hey Designers! Is it ok to use Gmail as your main e-mail?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SamIchi, Mar 26, 2010.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Or should I use a domain specific email?

What are your thoughts on this?

2. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

Why not use your gmail to access your domain specific email via Google Apps? I've been doing that for a few years now and don't have any reason to change it. Check out, it's free.

3. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I'm not talking about accessing it, but more for like business contact, like on business cards and stuff, should is it ok to use a gmail? Or does it look unprofessional? I guess it would just be to save like 12 bucks a year, but I'm not really sure about the domain name as of now.

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm sorry, but if I see a gmail or hotmail account on a resumé or business card i do look a little askance at it. It doesn't look nearly as professional (to me).

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Seriously, $1 a month is too much?:p

I don't see anything wrong with using a gmail address. It is not like it is hotmail.;)

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I use it on my resume. Why not use it. It's my email account

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Then what would recommend someone who doesn't have his own domain to use as an email account?

8. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Yeah that seems fine. But he is using it for business cards.

I mean which looks more professional?

bob@gmail.com

bob@designsbybob.com

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Because in the professional world, it's assumed that you've built enough experience to go beyond a free email account. I'm a graphic designer and have been on a number of hiring committees. The designer who has their own domain appears more professional than the designer with a free email account.

There are 1000 little (and big) cues that one uses in sizing up candidates. That is just one of them... and it is not one of the bigger ones.

10. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Ok after lookin through other portfolio websites I think I'll go with the domain specific. It does look nicer and more of a complete package

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Yeah... but I still won't hire you. :(

Oooohhh... just kidding. :D

Git out there and kick some behind! :)

12. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

Yeah, I'd say domain specific email just looks better. An @gmail address just doesn't look professional enough, imo.

13. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

As a consumer I don't mind people using a gmail account. Email is email afaik.

Google has made huge inroads into education by providing free tools for colleges to use, which is definitely respectable. Current college grads know and respect gmail.

Also, it's kind of comforting, because no one is expecting Google to go away any time soon. Gmail provides an aura of permanence.

14. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

I would then recommend getting his own domain.

15. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Although this seems to be very true I think it's a shame. Gmail is great and so is simplicity. It's a shame someone would be so snobby and short-sighted as to exclude an otherwise worthy candidate on something as trivial as an email provider... especially such a widely used one.

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I guess the stigma is a free mail account doesn't exactly scream professionalism, even though gmail is great.

17. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

As someone who has hired people for the government, I can promise you that your e-mail address' domain hardly matters. Well-qualified people have AOL, comcast, worldnet, hotmail, ymail, and pretty much every other crappy e-mail service and they're judged based on their resume, not their contact information.

If the nature of your contact information does affect the decision on whether or not you're to be hired, that organization isn't worth working for in the first place.

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

What BS. If I'm going to apply for a new job, I'm not about to use my current, "professional looking" e-mail address from my current company for any correspondence, that is just asking for trouble. Obviously, if I'm going to be printing up business cards I would, but for a resume I'm giving to another potential employer? No way.

I got hired at my current job with a Gmail address on my resume. I don't think it's the domain, I think it's the username. All other things being equal SupaSexyPlaya696969@gmail.com is probably less likely to get the job than john.doe@gmail.com

19. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

IMO, it looks unprofessional.

I recently was thumbing through a motorcycle magazine whilst err.. using the facilities.. at work. There was an Italian manufacturer of helmets (they looked quite nice too).. and their email was soandso@AOL.COM. Yes.. AOL.COM. That would be fine 10 years ago.. but in 2010? That's just ridiculous.

Most web hosting sites will throw in a domain specific email service too. Use it.

20. splitpea macrumors 6502a

I use an email with a custom domain on business cards, but gmail for daily communications, including with clients. I keep the custom email off gmail in order to have a backup for those rare occasions when gmail goes down.

21. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

I imagine different professions have differing requirements.

22. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

In what profession does an e-mail address domain detract from a qualified candidate? Not trying to pick a fight, just genuinely curious. The concept of judging someone on something that petty is completely foreign to me. (Note: I'm not talking about a username like SupaSexyPlaya696969@gmail ; rather the difference between john.doe@gmail vs. john.doe@business.com )

23. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

In my profession it doesn't detract from a qualified candidate but the people I deal with on a day to day are taken more seriously by me if they have an actual domain e-mail address. The two don't correlate though, I don't hire the type of people I deal with on a day to day so ...

24. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No denying that. I die a little inside every time I see an aol email :-\

25. splitpea macrumors 6502a

In web development and IT, where people are expected to be more savvy about such things. That said, Gmail is not nearly as maligned as Hotmail, Yahoo, AOL, mostly because it's considered a technical leader, and even had some cachet back when invitations were hard to come by.