Hey every1 new to mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Midnitesp3cial5, May 21, 2008.

1. Midnitesp3cial5 macrumors newbie

I would like to do an i chat with someone but dont know how....can someone help me..im confused on what to do..and is it possible to i chat with someone who has a regular computer as in a windows based comp....thanks much for help

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Hi, and welcome to MacRumors. :)

Try this Link; notice the "iChat 101" link in the center of the page. I think you'll find it quite helpful.

Do you currently have an AIM account? If so, just enter it in iChat and you're all set.

And yes, you can chat with anyone who has an AIM account, no matter which program or platform they're using.

3. macman44 macrumors newbie

This is from the apple support pages (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304767):

Open iChat, from the Dock or the Applications folder. A dialog opens to help you set up your account. Follow the instructions in the screen to configure iChat. If you don't have an account yet, click "Get an iChat Account" to sign up for a free one as well as a .Mac trial account.
    Once everything's configured, iChat opens and displays the Buddy List window. This is where you'll be able to see who is available to chat once you add people to your Buddy List. Your account appears at the top; your current status should show you as being "Available" in the menu. Other iChat and AIM users who've added your account to their buddy list can view your name and status in their window.
    If you want to change your status, choose a different status from the menu, such as Away, or choose Custom and type your own customized status message for special occasions.
    You may also see a green "phone" icon next to your iChat picture. If your computer has a built-in mic, or you have an external one plugged in, you may see a phone icon, which lets your fellow iChat buddies know that you're available to audio chat. If you have a FireWire camera connected or built-in to your computer, such as an iSight or DV camera, a movie camera icon displays to let other iChat users know that you're available to video chat. Visit the iChat Support page for information about iChat system requirements.

Also, I think you can "ichat" with windows users if they are using AOL Instant Messenger, but I might be wrong.

4. Midnitesp3cial5 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks....that helped alot...i fugured it out ....this site rocks...

5. SDLSteve macrumors 6502