Hey guys do you think my PSU is a bit too high??

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jjahshik32, Jul 27, 2008.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

[​IMG]

Im just curious as if this is normal?

I googled and one person here a while back said they had similar temperature as I do and people were saying that its defective??!

I just remember the first mac pro that I had the last 2 fan for the psu and hdd used to run around 599-640ish.. maybe this is due to the new updates?

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

Thermally speaking its best not to exceed 50 - 55C. The lower, the better of course. Try increasing the PSU fan speed, and see how much it drops. Change others if needed.

3. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Everything else seems to run cooler except the psu.. man hope I dont have to make another trip to the apple store~:mad:

This is weird too, I just ran geekbench in 32-bit mode and I got a whopping 8410!?! I remember it never going over 7700-7800 at most?? Weird..
    [​IMG]

4. bird2jet macrumors newbie

Hey I have the EXACT SAME situation as you

read my post I made 2 days ago here http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=530205

it explains alot.

In the end, I think I am just keeping it ( i DO believe these conditions and readings we are seeing, are normal for the latest MacPro revision).

The only way to alter the PSU fan speed that I've found is to compile some crazy code in Xcode.

The main thing that matters is Ambient temps inside the computer to change the PSU fan, just try to keep it cool around the computer(which is what I have done).

I see improvements but my constant is 68/60, and I have seen it go as high as 80/70.

I think its normal for this new powersupply, also does your click when you plug a live cord into it?

Read my post and get back to me asap.

Thanks

5. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

It doesnt have a click noise but maybe it is normal? I think I'll keep mine since I have apple care anyway and it seems to be running just fine. Also for some reason the geekbenching everytime in 32bit gets me a total score of 8300 and even 8400!! I remember owning the mac pro 2.8 8 core model before and it never got higher than 7700-7800!

For a second I thought apple made a mistake and stuck a 3.0ghz in my mac pro!

Also if yours is running around the same temperature I think it should be fine.

6. bird2jet macrumors newbie

were in the exact same boat

my post

"I just got my replacement MacPro today(the first one had something wrong with its firewire ports), and I notice a jump in the Powersupply fans up about 250 rpm, from 600 to 850; and a jump in temperatures of about 20 celcius for both monitors in Istatpro for the powersupply temps.

My first Macpro's power supply/power supply fan was 20 degrees cooler and ran at 250 less rpm.

Also I noticed something strange when I first plugged this new mac in. When I connected a live power cord into the Mac, I heard 2 strange clicks coming from the powersupply. It repeated these 2 clicks when I disconnected it and tried it again. Its like everytime the powersupply gets a live feed introduced to it after its been unconnected, the clicks are present.

Do you think the power supply is defective? The powersupply fans a whol?
    I read a thread here where someone returned it for these readings and got a replacement but I really dont want to do that for a second time.

So the 2 clicks, the increased rpm, and increased temps now have me very frustrated as I just got this mac replaced because of faulty firewire ports. The only thing different however, is the powersupply activity. Temps such as the cpu areas actually seem cooler.

I would like to get some feedback from other users with the "clicking power supply" when introduced to a live power cord.

Perhaps its something like they forgot to remove a piece of plastic covering in the power supply fan area when it was built? That would explain the heat and fan, but not the clicking.

Ok, but can anyone confirm that under idle conditions there Power Supply TEMPS are 70/63 for PS1/PS2. And higher temps as high as 80/70.

My fan is running high, and my temps are running high.

Can anyone confirm these numbers and tell me there normal for ( it seems atleast) the most recent macpro builds.

Is there any program that will actually let you control the power supply fan?

From the first mac I had its fan for the PS was around 600rpm, this one base lines at 790rpm. The temps are around 20 C higher on average.

Thanks for reading.

----I'm also keeping it because everything other than the PS seems to be better and cooler than the one I had a week ago, if it breaks, it will still be within one year most likely.

edit: Also this may be good news for you, I only have 2 gigs of ram, and normal HD.

So it is definitely good news that the temps aren't dramatically increasing with the added hardware.

7. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

I think its normal, just keep it and I do agree the cpu temperature seems alot cooler than before. Maybe apple started using a different company in the psu and is actually performing better.

I'm just still shocked by the geekbench score that I'm getting in the 8400's, I ran it 10 times now and all the time gets at least 8300. Its weird but I'll take it, lol.

8. bird2jet macrumors newbie

It's disheartening

I've been searching for days for some feedback on this.... nice to find someone with the same problem.

With the added hardware you have, the readings appear the same as with my meager 2 gigs, etc. Thats a good sign.

I can't go through the darkness of returning another MacPro to the mall anyway...

Lets use this thread for any future updates.

Peace

9. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Yea its probably either the istat pro has an issue or its that we just got newer psu. Because I just typed in the serial number for my mac pro and it was produced this month of july.

Also try running geekbench 32-bit the free mode. I keep getting around 8300-8400 in the total score. I had the 2.8ghz mac pro for a good 3 months when it was first released earlier this year and it used to get around 7600-7800 and that's with a 10k rpm raptor drive + 16gb of ram.

I find this pretty odd and pretty cool!

10. nanofrog macrumors G4

The clicks are from relays, not capacitors. If you ever get a click from a capacitor, swap the PSU immediately. It's about to die horribly, and take something with it. Like the logic board, minimum. Unfortunately, I've seen this happen. :(

As I said, the PSU temps should never exceed 50 - 55 C. I had assumed the posted temps (iStat) were correct.

A simple check:
    1. Turn off the computer
    2. Let cool down for an hour
    3. Restart, and check the temps in iStat

Better:
    If you have access to an infrared thermal monitor, or thermocouple and digital multimeter, try to get measurements.

Hope this helps. :)

11. Belly-laughs macrumors 6502a

Belly-laughs

swift clicks when inserting power cord is good. clicks whilst running not so.

12. bird2jet macrumors newbie

The clicks are only when I just plug in the power cord at startup, and upon startup, istat PS temps are 55/50 for PS1/PS2. These temps. only last about 30 minutes maximum, and then under idle conditions istat displays them at 68/60. They under heavy use have risen as high as 80/70. My PS fan also increases as shown by istat to around 1000rpm at load. It clicks once at the end of a shutdown. It only clicks once on startup when the plug is in, twice if you unplug it and reinsert(just by plugging it in, before pressing the power button).

Hopefully Istat is wrong?

13. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

I think there is something wrong with the istat pro because my mac pro even at startup after being off shows power supply 1 being at 67 and never seen it go down or up and always at 67c as well as the power supply 2 always at 58c-60c at the highest yet the mac pro is very cool.

Either way if it aint broke =P

14. nanofrog macrumors G4

From what I can gather, iStat isn't communicating the the PSU micro-controller correctly and displaying wrong temps. The clicks are normal (relays). No way a cold computer will show 55 C + if allowed adequate time to cool (ambient) while unplugged. :)

I wouldn't worry about it. As I understand it, you do have active Apple Care. ;) :p

15. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Thanks nanofrog. I just uninstalled istatpro and just was done with it.

16. nanofrog macrumors G4

17. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

did anyone else do the geekbenching?? How am I getting 8400 points for total geekbench scoring with a 2.8 8 core model using the 32-bit (free version) of geekbench??

On the older 2.8ghz mac pro I was getting no more than 7800 points and that's with 16gb of ram and a 150gb raptor drive.

And right now all I got is 2gb of ram + 320gb stock seagate hdd.

18. nanofrog macrumors G4

If I'm reading this correctly, this should be the 64 bit version of geekbench. Top link, on the right. ;)

When I clicked the link, it was going to allow me to download. Not sure if there is an activation key though. :confused:

19. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

I d/led geekbench but never activated it with the key and only used the 32-bit (free one) to do the benching.. still getting around 8350-8550!

20. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

I noticed that waking from sleep the psu 1 readings goes up to 79c and 10 minutes later that it drops back down to the usual 68c, is the same thing happening for you too?

Also I noticed that my psu fan has actually lowered in rpm from 899 to 799 and now 609?? I wonder why its so random..

21. nanofrog macrumors G4

22. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Those temperatures look normal to me. My PSU is like 80ºC all the time.

23. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

pram or smc??

It goes to sleep just fine and wakes up fine too but once I wake it up after overnight.. the psu 1 reading is at 79c-81c.. how is it possible to get that high when its barely using any power in sleep mode?

24. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

which model mac pro do you have? 8 core or 4 core?