Hey guys, just a discussion really... about the current 2012 Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by leehong888222, Jun 18, 2012.

1. leehong888222 macrumors newbie

Hey guys! i was wondering how much longer would the Unibody Macbook pro would be around. Coz at the moment, apple offers the same old style Unibody Macbook Pro and the new Retina Ones (slim ones). Do you think they will offer retina display in the unibody mac book pros for 2013 (ie. the non-slim version)? or there will just only be the slim ver? Coz currently what is holding me back from buying the new Macbook pro is that, i like the retina display but i dont like the idea not able to upgarde it, and vice versa with the (non-slim macbook pro). sorry if i sound really confusing, my english is not my first language. :cool:

2. Stetrain macrumors 68040

My guess is that the old style Macbook Pro will go away in a year or two. If it does stick around it probably won't get any significant updates other than small spec bumps. Much like the iPod Classic.

3. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

My guess is that eventually it will just be the new, slimmer version...but they could continue to offer them side-by-side for a few years. I don't think they'll be upgrading the older style ones to retina screens; I think there would be too much overlap in that case to keep both styles. But at this point no one can say for sure what will happen. We can make guesses, but Apple has never been extremely clear about their future products. You mostly just have to wait and see.

4. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

A year maybe two at most, as the Retina machines gain traction and Apple sell more & more units they will reduce the MBP product line. As for the upgrade path I wouldn't overly worry if you are an average user as even the base machine is reasonably well specified.

I dont for see the Retina display being implemented in the older machines, as it`s not in general how Apple does things, as a rule they are the first to obsolete what they consider to be obsolete technologies, ODD & HDD are just the next in the line. Realistically you can upgrade the rMBP 16Gb Ram & 512Gb SSD this is more than comparable to a typical upgrade of the Unibody, difference you are paying up front, only risk is SSD pricing, at present they are too far from mainstream to drop to HDD levels of price per GB.

If you want a Retina machine just go ahead and buy one now...

5. leehong888222 thread starter macrumors newbie

Buy one....

6. leehong888222 thread starter macrumors newbie

LOL... Quote fail

Yea quote fail..... Anyway i actually started to notice my C2D cpu is starting to take its toll. It is already a bit laggy, hmm i should really consider buying the retina display macs... Argh.. Another reason to get it is because Apple is unlikely to change the looks of the retina models for at least 3-4 years. So if i get it now, no one would know when i actually got my mac. This applied to the current unibody macbook pro i have. Had it in 2009 through to now. No one could really tell how old it is. So if i got it now, it would retain the "look" for as long as the next facelift. :)

7. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

The legacy design probably won't live past 2013. Since the same analyst who predicted the retina 15" MBP to a T is saying that 13" retinas will be out in October, it seems unlikely that Apple would continue to offer two complete MacBook Pro lines for more than a year. It's just confusing.