Hey guys (purpose of jail breaking)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by FunkyFreshBoy, Apr 23, 2008.

1. FunkyFreshBoy macrumors newbie

Hey Im new to the site. First I would like to compliment the site, so far it seems extremely informative. I dont know if this is in the right section or not, but I'm interested in purchasing an Ipod touch. I have done a lot of research and im pretty much set on a 32 g. I was just wondering what the purpose of jail breaking is? What benefits will I recieve? Also, Should I wait till june to purchase a touch? Thanks for the help guys,

Zack

2. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

if you buy now, you will have to pay a small fee to get 2.0, as for jailbreaking... It is worth it, all the apps and more....

3. AndyK Contributor

AndyK

Jailbreaking is defiantly worth it.

As for buying now or waiting, you'd only wait then find there is a new upgrade to come.

4. icepick1985 macrumors member

Why is it worth it to jailbreak?

WHAT applications do I miss?

Thanks

5. aethelbert macrumors 601

It's worth it because it's like you get a bunch of shiny stuff that accomplishes absolutely nothing. And you get buggy, low-quality apps that don't do anything productive or remotely useful.

6. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

depends what you install, there are also some extremely high quality and useful apps on installer, which i use daily.

7. YuriVoorhak macrumors regular

That was my take on it initially, and a good 90% of the aps out there are useless and/or awfully executed. But I have to admit I use the offline Wikipedia dump all the time, as well as the book reader, and last but not least GBA emulator. Granted, none of this is actually productive... but geez, it's an iPod.

8. mark34 macrumors 6502a

but why would you jailbreak now? soon enough many many apps will be available. And you will know it will work.

9. FunkyFreshBoy thread starter macrumors newbie

Well i went to an apple store today and I'm In love haha, June 6 please hurry up!!!!:D

10. aethelbert macrumors 601

You've got a while to wait beyond 6/6. WWDC starts on 9/6 and they announced the firmware for late June. As we saw with the iPhone, they really do mean late. But we can still hope for an earlier release.

11. FunkyFreshBoy thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh I know, that's just the date that I'm getting my touch, no matter what hahaha:apple:

12. aethelbert macrumors 601

Ahh, what better way to end a week than buying new toys on a Friday? That's a good date because if something comes the next week at WWDC, you could return it.