Hey is it worth it for me to have a mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by OneeyedWilly25, Jun 9, 2009.

1. OneeyedWilly25 macrumors newbie

I'm on a budget and need a new computer for college.

Basically, I need something that will work with internet and email but won't cost me a fortune, but still function. Mac's seem kind of pricey but I'm sure they have osmething to offer, I just don't know.

The laptop I'm looking at is :

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Satel...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1244608825&sr=1-2

I mean, the macbook looks like it has pretty smiliar specs but its more then twice as much. Just what am I getting besides a different OS?

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

If you're on a budget and only need to do things like check email and write papers, perhaps the HP on your link is the better option. I like my Macs, but I'm not going to tell everybody to buy Macs just because I like them more.

Try out Windows 7 as well. It's coming out in a few months, and it's pretty fantastic. Your computing experience should be pretty decent with Win 7 installed on it.

It's no Mac though. ;)

3. mr.stinki macrumors 6502

If you were to get one of the new 13'' MBP, for one, you'd get a 7 Hour battery. Aside from long battery life, most macs also have long lives. You can have a 3-4 year old mac that still runs really fast. You can also say goodbye to having to pay for virus protection and constant fear of them.

The mac side is full of little perks like that ;)

4. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Are you one to keep up to date with Operating systems? If so keep in mind the cost of Windows releases vs the price of OS X updates. Also any anti-virus software you plan on buying. (unless you go free)

Price wise its pretty similar if you account for one operating system upgrade in the life of the computer. Keep in mind Mac users tend to keep their computer longer as well.

5. twentytenpros macrumors newbie

While it is essentially true that they do retain speed they don't necessarily mean that they have long lives. I've been through 3 batteries on my MPB and COUNTLESS logic board complications. Just something to keep in mind, maybe things have changed with the new models.

6. Coolmatt49 macrumors member

Sure, I would recommend ANYONE getting a Mac regardless of any reason just because I prefer it over a Windows Laptop any day. However, in the real world, money is certainly a factor in anything (especially in these times).

If money is super important to you (which it is) and you are perfectly fine with using Windows, get a cheap Windows laptop. The one you linked to looks fine and I would say MORE than meets your expectations.

The differences between the two wouldn't really mean much to you besides the 7 hour battery life.

7. rhodent2013 macrumors member

LOL Perfect logic in buying a mac. I guess Justin Long gets laid every night since he is on the mac commercials....

8. twentytenpros macrumors newbie

yeah you're right.
    cant argue with that logic!
    That's what sony gets for making computers that
    run windows

9. mynameisraj macrumors 6502

I laughed at this, hahaha.

Seriously, though. A mac also keeps its value over time if you want to sell it in the future :)

and now they do, so we'll see ;)

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Just get a cheap Windows laptop like the Toshiba. You can replace it in 2 years and still come out about even.