Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 8, 2002
I plan on using an iPad as my primary computer (please don't try to talk me out of it).

Since the 4.0 didn't include a file-system, I'm now considering JBing the iPad when the tool is released.

If you haven't followed the saga, there is no way to pass a document from app to app and back again. Instead, multiple iterations of the document is created which is both ridiculous and unmanageable.

So, I need some type of centralized, shared file system, preferably one that includes nested subfolders AND cloud storage/syncing.

Is there such an animal in JB land? If so...what is it?

TIA

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
iFile is by far the best file manager for the jailbroken iPhone OS. Sadly, it does not have can cloud sync feature, but it does have a built-in server which allows you to transfer files to or from any computer with a web browser that is on the same Wi-Fi network.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 8, 2002
That looks interesting thanks! Can't tell from their site - when you sync your iPhone to iTunes, does it back up the files stored within iFile? That would mitigate the lack of cloud storage.

Also, it may be too early to know at this point...but does this app have a way to get documents to/from other apps (thinking especially of the iWork apps on the iPad...)?

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
That looks interesting thanks! Can't tell from their site - when you sync your iPhone to iTunes, does it back up the files stored within iFile? That would mitigate the lack of cloud storage.

Also, it may be too early to know at this point...but does this app have a way to get documents to/from other apps (thinking especially of the iWork apps on the iPad...)?

It doesn't back up anything because they are all actually stored in your mobile users home directory on the actual file system...

I'm not sure what you're looking to do... You can't sync your iPad to iTunes anyway if it's your computer. :) Also, you won't be able to upload any files anywhere.

With Safari Downloader you'll be able to download files to your filesystem and then iFile will let you set an app to open them, if supported by the app, which is not likely for any apps in the App Store. Maybe the new open attachments from email feature will be available to open files in different apps such as iFile or an App Store version.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 8, 2002
It doesn't back up anything because they are all actually stored in your mobile users home directory on the actual file system...

I'm not sure what you're looking to do... You can't sync your iPad to iTunes anyway if it's your computer. :) Also, you won't be able to upload any files anywhere.

With Safari Downloader you'll be able to download files to your filesystem and then iFile will let you set an app to open them, if supported by the app, which is not likely for any apps in the App Store. Maybe the new open attachments from email feature will be available to open files in different apps such as iFile or an App Store version.

I'll retain my household iMac in its current role as central hub for storage and syncing of media...

But this is the problem... After you've opened the document within say Pages, there's no way to get it back into any of the file organization tools (e.g. iDisk, dropbox, etc.) and for those few instances where you *are* allowed to pass a document from app to app, it actually creates a whole new instance of the document within that app's sandbox'd storage.

So - what I *really* need is a storage system that's accessible - both in and out - from the productivity apps.

Looks like this one may be tough...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.