Hey, just making sure I'm buying the right SATA cable

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pandawaffle, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Pandawaffle macrumors newbie

tl;dr version:
    Is this the right product to use to try to hook the HD in the images up to my MacBook externally?

Hey there, I recently had a hard drive failure but my go-to tech guru was able to show me how to get files off of it with the bash prompt (lifesaver! :D) where I was actually able to navigate pretty much everything on the disk with -l. The HD failed every recovery or reformat option the Snow Leopard boot CD could offer (corrupted disk) so I got a new HD. The new HD I got doesn't have the best RPM though, so the MacBook now sounds ready-for-takeoff when it reads anything consequential from the disk :/.
    However, since I was still able to navigate and transfer data from the drive with the bash prompt I was recommended to try to hook the old HD up to the MacBook externally to have a look at it. I personally believe the old HD failed because a day or two before it crashed while trying to delete a user account, which if true would suggest a software issue (the old HD sounds/feels fine when in use) and I *hopefully* may be able to reformat the HD if I am able to navigate and doctor it first. Anyways, I just want to be sure I'm buying the right tools to do it with, see the tl;dr version for the rest.

Attached Files:

2. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

The cable linked to at Amazon has the correct connector for your 2.5" SATA drive.