Hey people! Getting a MacBook Pro! Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Treverend, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Treverend macrumors newbie

Treverend

Is 250 GB big enough and is 4 GB of Ram good? I'm thinking about getting a upgrade to a 500 GB harddrive but I use Steam to play games and they don't have very many Mac games yet so I don't know if I need that much.

2. feeth macrumors 6502

Works fine for me, but I dont play games.

You can upgrade the HD yourself. Do a search.

3. regieferg macrumors newbie

there is steam for mac. Although you dont have many games, you could use bootcamp to install windows.

also 250GB is good enough space for games. also it depends on amount of games you have. (average game = about 10GB)

it is great for gaming. Not all games would work great but most of them you could play medium to high settings.

4. ccashman92 macrumors regular

If you upgrade the RAM and HDD you want to do it yourself. It'll cut costs in half or more. For gaming I would upgrade the RAM to 8GB and HDD to 500GB or a 200GB+ SSD (SSD will cut loading times in half.)

5. kxfrog macrumors regular

I'm assuming this is on a 13 inch. 8gb ram will make no noticeable difference in gaming on this machine. In a gaming rig however :D

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

4GB is good, I've got that on my MBP and it runs sweet with almost anything! 250GB HDD should be big enough as well. Although if you need more space you can always easily upgrade the HDD yourself nice and cheaply :D

7. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

4 Gb of ram should be enough, and i would recommend the 500 GB hdd it allows you a lot more storage opportunities

8. No1nfoProvided macrumors 6502

+1. Buy the most basic MBP and upgrade everything yourself.

9. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

SSD is a great idea! But I wouldn't get 8GB. 4GB is more than enough. You can even run fairly demanding games on 1GB, so 4GB is plenty for any game ;) So long as your not trying to do anything else at the same time.

10. Treverend thread starter macrumors newbie

Treverend

I'm not technologically illiterate but I don't think I'm smart enough to do the upgrades myself, lol. Anyways if I just stick with the bare 13' MBP that should be good enough right? I'm not planning on doing anything really extraordinary. maybe a few games but mainly for college.

11. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I'd go with a MBP. The cases are stronger and more durable. And the price difffernce isn't over 100 bucks I don't think. Plus you get a backlit keyboard and an SD card slot ;)

12. Treverend thread starter macrumors newbie

Treverend

Should I get the 13-inch: 2.4GHz or the 13-inch: 2.66GHz. Like what's the difference and is it really that much better?

13. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

The difference will ne negligible - however the general rule of thumb is buy the fastest processort you can afford at the time. Upgrade other items as and when it is required.

In you instance go with the 2.66GHz.