Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Renderz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 27, 2004
I should point my friends who aren't interested in Photography to this thread. Some of the numbers are staggering. i've been shooting ever since getting a digital camera well over 10 years ago, but I don't have anywhere near the amount of file data you guys have :)

This is slightly off topic but how many photos do you guys actually have not including backups? I have about 50,000 give or take.

Karpfish

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2006
I have about 30,000, but I shoot RAW and my edits are in TIFF. Those files add up. From your sig it looks like you shoot with a P&S, so your files will be significantly smaller than many here shooting with DSLRs.

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
I have 10GB Aperture Library; just an amateur photographer. Using Canon 400D and loving it.

I have a vault on a 120GB FW400 Iomega HDD; and when I finally make it back to the UK, I will have a Super Duper! clone of this entire computer (MBP 200GB) onto a FW400 Lacie Porsche design HDD.

I have a Mac Mini too, but that's going to be movies and music only.

I haven't decided if time machine is a good idea or not yet. I download and delete a hell of a lot of stuff throughout the day and so don't really know if that's a good backup routine for me. So far, nightly Super Duper! backups have sounded like a better idea...

Renderz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 27, 2004
LOL!! <--- I am seriously laughing out loud! This is very encouraging to hear. It means I'm not alone in shooting lots. It looks like I'm going to have to up my game :)

Tilard

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2008
Oh my word!!! What on earth do you photograph? Please send a link to your site, I gotta see your work!!

I am doing a lot of Events, like Weddings, Birthdays, Partys.
So on a weekend I have an average of 2000 Pictures.

I started shooting digital in 2001, when you now do the math, then
you understand, why I have so many Photos...

And of course everything is on two drives, so half the capacity is
used for backup...

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
I have about 31GB of photos (not inc backups). Admittedly I am fairly new to the digi world (I have a huge amount of negs from over the years).

I keep my Photos on my Mac, and have an rsync job that runs weekly (or on demand when I have just copiied a load of new pictures from the flash card). I backup to the Synology box that has 3TB usable from a 4TB RAID5 setup. I am planning to add an rsync to make monthly backups to my webserver in germany (Itself running RAID1) but need to plan the time for the initial sync (some 50GB in my various directories at my Broadband speed of 512Kb upload its gonna suck).

Backups are vital in my opinion as I have a lot of scans on there to which the negatives were lost in a fire many many moons ago (so glad I bought that scanner in 1993).

I am planning to replace the Synology 407e with a DS508 as its far quicker and can take 5 disks (so I'll put 1.5TB units in) - I have a shed lot of Media content on the 3TB one now so its approaching the end of its capacity.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
Inside my Mac Pro: 750Gb, 500GB, 500GB, 1 TB
Attached: 4TB Drobo, 500GB hot swap single drives (into the fireproof safe rotated as needed)
In the basement: 2TB NV+ NAS

I guess that makes a little over 9 TB total storage

Man I remember my first hard drive... 10MB and thought it was huge, lol

jalagl

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2003
Costa Rica
On Macbook: 120Gb (iPhoto library with a few pictures)
External drives:
2.5" USB: 320GB (Picture backup) & 160GB
3.5" USB: 500GB (Picture storage mainly, backed up up to the 320 above), 320GB and 250GB
Firewire: 80GB (3.5", MB backup) & 40GB (2.5", for temporary files)

Total: 1,790GB :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.