HomePod “Hey Siri” and HomePod

cwazytech

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
Colorado
I used to be able to say “Hey Siri” with my iPhone in my hand and my HomePod would pick it up almost every time. Now, my iPhone intercepts “Hey Siri” every time. Any one else? I have to raise my voice so much louder than I used to to get the HomePod to pick up. Very puzzling.

Itinj24

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I used to be able to say “Hey Siri” with my iPhone in my hand and my HomePod would pick it up almost every time. Now, my iPhone intercepts “Hey Siri” every time. Any one else? I have to raise my voice so much louder than I used to to get the HomePod to pick up. Very puzzling.
Yep. Same here. I unplugged the HomePod for about 30 seconds and it seems to have fixed the issue. I made a thread about this a week ago and got no replies so it’s probably not widespread but rebooting seems to fix a lot of things.

Last edited:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Prioritization of Hey Siri with multiple devices is...

1. Device that was just 'raised to wake'
2. HomePod
3. Device that hears you the best.

Its easy to prioritize Hey Siri on the iPhone if you are walking around with it in your hand and its waking up right as you say Hey Siri.

If your behavior hasn't changed but the devices has then power cycle everything including your router.

Reactions: Plett and Itinj24

Itinj24

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Prioritization of Hey Siri with multiple devices is...

1. Device that was just 'raised to wake'
2. HomePod
3. Device that hears you the best.

Its easy to prioritize Hey Siri on the iPhone if you are walking around with it in your hand and its waking up right as you say Hey Siri.

If your behavior hasn't changed but the devices has then power cycle everything including your router.
Yeah, behavior hasn’t changed for me. Had my phone charging on my nightstand screen off and locked and the bedroom HomePod always picked up in this instance but changed for some reason. Same with the kitchen. Power cycling them so far seemed to do the trick.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
The easiest fix for this is to turn Hey Siri off on your iPhone. I did this as I never use that feature anymore since HomePod and CarPlay came into my life.

The next fix is easy too: Lay your iPhone screen-side-down when you’re in the same room as HomePod.

Itinj24

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2017
New York
The easiest fix for this is to turn Hey Siri off on your iPhone. I did this as I never use that feature anymore since HomePod and CarPlay came into my life.

The next fix is easy too: Lay your iPhone screen-side-down when you’re in the same room as HomePod.
The only issue with that is I use AirPods all the time and “Hey Siri” is great on them. Need it to be activated on the phone. To me, AirPods are essentially portable a HomePod. Also face down doesn’t work for a wireless charging pad

Off topic, were you on the Bimmerfest forums? Your username looks familiar from somewhere.