"Hey Siri" could cause all sorts of issues

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Smith288, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Smith288 macrumors 6502a

Smith288

Scenario:

Coworker likes to play jokes on you.

You step out for a sec to get a cup o' joe

Coworker walks over to your phone says "Hey Siri, Send message to my wife that says 'You're a B%$*('"

Now you have a problem.

Not sure of the solution besides turning Hey Siri off but that's just begging to be trouble.

2. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

if you have coworkes who would do that, then you should not leave your phone alone with them.

I have not moved up to 8 yet, does it work with the passcode set?

3. Maetzle macrumors regular

Maetzle

Don't leave your phone unattended or don't have it plugged in all the time. They could do that as well with reply from the lock screen.

4. dmccombs macrumors member

I was in a meeting at work. I had my phone on the table charging. Suddenly, Siri started doing a web search on what one of the meeting participants had just said. Siri must have thought that the person said "Hey Siri". He didn't but she went off telling us what she found anyway.

It was a little disruptive, but most thought it was kinda funny. Luckily it wasn't an internal meeting. Lesson learned... :D

5. Smith288 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Smith288

Not saying I don't know how to lock the feature down but I can see how it could be an issue for someone not realizing the risk.

I would like to disable the feature except when im in my car.

6. EJ8 macrumors 6502a

EJ8

A few weeks ago (on iOS 8 beta) my phone was sitting on the counter and the news was on. The guy was speaking of the issues in Syria and said, "Hey, Syrian ground forces....blah blah blah...

My phone (Siri) speaks up all of a sudden..."Hmmmm, let me think. I found something on the web for....." :rolleyes:

Not really an issue but kinda funny.

7. Macalway macrumors 68020

Why don't you complain to Apple?

It's a legitimate concern. There are plenty of depressing work places filled with annoying, tormenting, idiots :D

8. youknome macrumors 6502

youknome

I'm sure you can turn off Siri to not be accessed from the lock screen so why don't you do that then?

Then when you leave your phone unattended just lock it?

9. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

10. Smith288 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Smith288

Agreed. It's a great feature in a vacuum. It'd be a nice profile feature that NFC could integrate with.... But alas...

11. BulkHedd macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

Almost the exact same thing happened to me this morning.

12. kronusdark macrumors member

kronusdark

Even better go to a phone charging station in an Airport and say

"Hey Siri, Call mom"

and lol

13. Smith288 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Smith288

Or "Hey Siri, call my wife, Bi%ch"

"Ok, from now on, your wife will now be known as Bi%ch"

14. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Yes, it works even with a passcode.

15. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

Hmmm

Sounds like the "joker co worker" is the least of your problems. What about the co worker with sticky fingers?. I can't imagine why anyone would leave their iPhone unattended anywhere then expect it to be there when they return.

16. theWozinator macrumors newbie

Isn't this the same as just holding down the home button in previous versions of iOS?

17. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

This actually just made me think about something.

One of the things I was kind of excited about was this feature. Each night my wife and I keep our phones plugged in on cradles on our respective night stands. I envisioned myself waking up in the morning and saying "hey Siri, what's the temperature outside" or "hey Siri, set my alarm for 7:15."

But I wonder - will both phones respond to the Hey Siri commands? That would take the fun and usefulness out of it.

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yup, with the example that was used it cold be done just was esily in pervious iOS versions.

19. zamudiovsky macrumors regular

If you leave your phone unattended your coworker could also just hold the home button and get siri without a problem...

20. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

My iPhone 5s locks immediately when I turn the display off, meaning I have to use Touch ID or a passcode to unlock it. Soooooo assuming this jagoff doesn't have my fingers or my passcode, sounds safe. Yet another reason I scream at people to pay the extra whatever to make sure they get one of the models with Touch ID.

21. Smith288 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Smith288

I leave my phone all of the time because my coworkers aren't the type to prank like that but I've worked with people who have. So it just got me thinking...

But it is that funny prank people could do without walking over to another person's desk (I work in an office with three other developers).

The idea behind this thread was to first offer up a warning to people who don't realize the impact of having their device plugged in with Hey Siri turned on.

I know how to work the device (being an iOS dev since day one). I just know there's people out there who may not understand the full impact. Like the example of being at a charging station at an airport. Yikes.

22. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

"Hey Siri," likes to turn on ALL the damn time I am watching TV, it does not make me mad though...actually makes me laugh. I am sure Apple will come out with some kind of fix.

:apple:

23. cynics macrumors G4

I mentioned in another thread another iPhone owner at work using his was activating mine and inadvertently adding events to my calendar. Funny and obnoxious so I disabled it.

24. Tfalsetta macrumors newbie

simple solution but apple wont allow it

I know what you mean and in the easy approach to this would be if Apple allowed you to customize that phrase.... Because not only that if you're in a room with a bunch of Apple devices and say that "hey siri" they all start listening...
    But if Apple would allow you to customize it and say something like "Siri I want you to start listening"
    then you and only you would know that phrase and it should be changed if it was ever compromised...
    But Apple will never do that