Hey Siri idea

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RiddlaBronc, Jan 20, 2015.

1. RiddlaBronc macrumors 6502a

RiddlaBronc

I know it only works with the phone charging up which is not a big problem for me. While thinking about it I came with an idea that perhaps some people have already mentioned.

Sooner or later they will bring this feature without needing the charger, so my idea is, why don't the use a voice recognition system that you set up so that Siri only gets activated if it recognizes your voice. This will eliminate siri getting activated by anyone around you who dares say those words.

Something like touch id but for your voice where you say ''hey siri'' a few times until the device has your voice down.

What do you guys think?

2. meistervu macrumors 65816

I think one of the reason "hey Siri" only works while the iPhone is being charged is that it takes extra power to be listening ambient sound in case "hey Siri" is said. It's not just listening but processing the sound all the time.

3. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

That will kill your battery life pretty quick...

4. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

As others said, it would use way too much power. It is why they went with the finger print sensor, it only activates when touched.

5. RiddlaBronc thread starter macrumors 6502a

RiddlaBronc

Ah i see but doesn the moto x has the always listening feature?

6. jeremiah239 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah239

Yes it does, that's what coprocessors are for.

Just like the M8 is always tracking steps but doesn't efect battery life.

Hopefully the next iPhone will alow "hey Siri" without a charger.

7. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

moldy lunchbox

You can already do that with a jailbreak. And surprise, it doesn't really change your battery life. Mind blown yet?

8. jeremiah239 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah239

Nope, I don't jailbreak.

9. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

Good boy.

No, really...good boy. :)

10. jeremiah239 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah239

I used to lol, it's just not worth it to me anymore. I feel like I spend more time tweaking my phone then using it.

11. woodynorman macrumors 6502

Not true. I'm JB and had the tweak on my iphone 6. My battery life was horrible! when checking my battery usage status the usage and standby times were always the same. It's always listening.

12. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

moldy lunchbox

I had Untethered Hey Siri on my phone so long that I forgot it was there until I looked at my tweaks, my battery life didn't change from what it was. I literally never used it except for the first 5 minutes I installed it.

13. waynerbbx macrumors member

yeah, my wife's Moto x is always listening, and her battery is great. You'd think that apple would have done that by now.

14. cynics macrumors G4

This isn't in the same league as the Moto X however if you have Siri open (not listening) and say Hey Siri it will activate even when unplugged.

So for example. If you ask Siri a question and you are viewing the results and have another question you don't need to hold the button again, just say Hey Siri.

I've actually found this useful.

15. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

The M8 does affect battery life, just less than the main processor.

16. jeremiah239 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah239

Yes but It's verry verry minimal, that's the whole idea behind it.

17. CausticSoda macrumors 6502

CausticSoda

I am sick to death of Siri. I use my iPhone to play TV etc., and phrases that sound nothing at all like "Hey Siri" keep triggering it. It should be programmed to turn off the very second it "hears" things like "shut up and go away", but it doesn't. Even worse, it comes back with stupid things like "I'm not sure I deserve to be spoken to like that". Very amusing for the programmers, no doubt, but seriously irritating for the user at the crucial point of a film you have got into. Yes, I could turn it off in advance, but I would prefer it simply to understand "Go away!"