Hey, Siri... OK, Google

Discussion in 'iOS 12' started by Itinj24, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Itinj24 macrumors member

This shortcut used to work but now when I try it, Siri says, “you’ll need to continue in Assistant.” and gives a tab button to open Assistant.

Anyone else notice this?

2. George Knighton macrumors 65816

George Knighton

Apple claims that Siri works the way that it does because of privacy and security concerns, and Apple criticized Google for not having these same concerns.

I am not surprised that they do not want you to access Google Assistant directly through Siri.

Somebody probably interpreted it as a violation of their own privacy concerns.

3. SaSaSushi, Dec 23, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2018

SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I thought it was something that had changed with the iOS 12.1.2 update so I rolled back to 12.1.1 and lo and behold the same issue persists. This is something changed by Apple server-side and it is not limited to the Google Assistant shortcut either.

I have a shortcut to launch Find my Phone for a family member's phone and it, too, now says, "You'll need to continue in Find iPhone" and requires an extra action to press the button where it used to just launch the app.

I really hope this is something temporary because it is highly unintuitive and very much defeats the purpose of a "shortcut".

4. Itinj24 thread starter macrumors member

Ok, thanks for the replies. Worked flawlessly, hands free, when it was first introduced and then from out of nowhere it laid an egg. I thought it might have been from 12.1.2 also but I guess not. Can’t say for sure exactly when it stopped working but my wife brought it to my attention yesterday. Hope it gets changed back soon. It was a big deal when it came out so I’m surprised there weren’t any articles on when and why it was stopped.

5. Fdisaac00 macrumors newbie

I noticed this too...it’s a bummer. I really hate using Siri and was happy to use Google Assistant in a shortcut..My keyword was “Ok Siri, Ask Google” instead of “Ok Siri, Hey Google”.

6. djcingular macrumors regular

djcingular

I thought I was the only one. I tried reinstalling GA & creating a separate shortcut, all with the same error. Frustrating!!!

7. Jt69yupper macrumors member

Jt69yupper

8. jeffe macrumors 6502a

9. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

My wild guess is that Apple saw an explosion in popularity of ”Hey Siri OK Google” to the point where it made up a massive share of the Siri requests. Meanwhile, Google has ramped up the worldwide rollout of Google Home/Assistant - the plan for 2018 was 38 more countries and 17 more languages.

This would be bad timing for Apple who are probably looking to launch one or more affordable everyman’s home speakers (HomePod Mini? HomePad Nano?) this year alongside AirPods 2. So maybe they’re trying to nip the Google Assistant addiction epidemic among iOS users in the bud. Too late I’m afraid...

10. colburnry macrumors newbie

colburnry

Just so I am clear that we are on the same page, when you say, "Hey siri, ok Google," the assistant app opens on your phone in a listening mode? You don't have siri ask you to continue in the assistant app? Thanks in advance...

11. jpiszcz macrumors 6502

Mine did that when it first came out, now I have to open the assistant manually press the button.

12. jeffe macrumors 6502a

this is correct. It is working as attended and completely hands-free. My biggest gripe is having to unlock the phone.

13. colburnr macrumors regular

colburnr

Hmmm...thanks for the clarification. I wonder what the heck my problem is.

14. cynics macrumors G4

15. Itinj24 thread starter macrumors member

I’m the OP. This was working fine when it was first introduced. Then seemingly out of the blue, Siri would prompt me to open Google Assistant to continue. This morning, I woke up to a Google Assistant update on the App Store and now the functionality has been restored. Not sure if the update fixed it but it works now for me.

16. jpiszcz macrumors 6502

17. Itinj24 thread starter macrumors member

Out of curiosity, did you update the Google Assistant app?

18. jpiszcz macrumors 6502

Last update was from 5 days ago, I re-downloaded it to test it (didn't have it on my phone until I saw the update here).

19. Itinj24 thread starter macrumors member

Ah ok. Funny, last night I was cleaning up my phone and was on the fence about deleting Google Assistant. Decided to keep it and as fate would have it, update this morning apparently fixed it. Glad I did and was able to post my findings here.

20. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Yes, I can confirm it just started working again for me as well a few days ago.