Hey Siri on all the time

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RiddlaBronc, Sep 9, 2015.

1. RiddlaBronc macrumors 6502a

RiddlaBronc

do you guys believe the 6 and 6 plus will also get the Hey Siri feature that will always be in stand by as the new 6s? Is this part of ios9 or will be phone specific?

2. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

It's only takes a couple of line of code to enable it so it's a iOS feature... But Apple makes it a 6s feature, just like the live wallpapers.

They need to sell their S line.

3. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

doesn't matter I will disable it along with background refresh, blue tooth and location services like always

4. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

I think its an great feature if you iPhone is on its dock on your desk and you say "hey Siri". As long as I have the ability to activate/deactivate "Hey Siri", then I don't see any issue.

5. bingeciren macrumors 6502a

bingeciren

Another item that'll shorten the battery life.

6. cardfan macrumors 65816

If you can change "hey siri" to something else, then that would be great.

7. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I really don't want my phone listening to me all the time.

8. oldwren macrumors 6502

oldwren

That's probably not actually true. But either way, unless the 6s has a dedicated chip for listening, it would be too much of a battery strain. Hence why it's not on the 6. Not everything is just a couple lines of code.

9. macfacts macrumors 68000

macfacts

If the new iPhone has a dedicated chip for it, battery life used is miniscule. My Samsung note 3 has a dedicated chip for always listening and I have that option on and battery life is normal.

If this is the big new feature, it is going to be fun saying "hey siri" in public and watching everyone's iPhone 6s in the surrounding area respond hahaha

10. batting1000 macrumors 604

I think that's being a little paranoid. Do you hold top secret conversations frequently?

11. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

I hope not. For some reason, she always hears "Hey, Siri!" when I join conference calls and say, "Hey, this is Jodie," and starts talkin' at me. I have it enabled for the rare occasions that I need to use it; just have to remember to disconnect my phone from the charger before conf calls now (or disable it entirely if it becomes an always-on feature going forward).

12. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

No, but I still don't want it listening to everything that goes on. In order to know when I say "hey siri," it must be processing everything on some level with Apple's servers.

13. oldwren macrumors 6502

oldwren

It wouldn't have to, if all it's listening for is "Hey Siri." Processing searches, sure, but there's no reason it would need a constant internet connection... that'd be a lot of data upload.

14. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

It could use voice dictation with a built in script set for the two word phrase. Hearing that locally it would trigger the remote Siri feed to then use Apple servers to process your voice. Guessing.

15. Wondercow macrumors 6502a

I just tested this; I turned on Airplane Mode on my iPad, plugged it in and said "hey Siri". The screen changed to Siri mode but it notified me "Siri not available. Connect to the Internet".

16. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

So, dictation is listening for the command which is built in to the OS. Seems logical.

17. Wondercow macrumors 6502a

Yup, and probably for the exact reasons given in this thread: no one would want everything they say being sent to Apple, nor would they want the data usage that would bring. Additionally, Apple probably doesn't want their servers processing everything said by anyone with an iPhone every second of every day.

18. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

I have an Apple Watch. Unless they let me prioritize the response to go one device or the other first, Siri is going to drive me nuts.

19. MikesGravity macrumors 6502

I hope so, this function is really useful in the car. The MOTO X has perfected it more or less.