Hey Siri??? Siri .... Siri......

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by CTay, May 12, 2015.

1. CTay macrumors member

So... I often use the Hey Siri feature on all my apple devices. I recently noticed that this feature doesn't seem to work now that I have added an apple watch into the mix. Other than when I am wearing the apple watch and raise my wrist.

Let me paint the picture.... I have a stand on my bedside table that houses all three devices. ( iPad, iPhone and apple watch) Prior to adding the watch, I would frequently use the "hey Siri" feature to set an alarm for in the morning on my phone. Since adding the Apple watch to the stand on a charger, none of the devices will answer to the command.

Anyone else having this issue?

2. Cyberpower678 macrumors 6502

Yes. I think it's because they assume that your watch is going to take the query.

3. Rowsten macrumors newbie

You may not be aware of this (I wasn't) but hey siri only works just after the watch wakes up when you move your wrist to look at the face.

Doesn't really help with the other devices not working though haha.

4. Subdiv macrumors 6502

Makes you feel like...

Attached Files:

5. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

why would the watch that is not being worn be listening for hey Siri queries with the screen off?

6. Cyberpower678 macrumors 6502

Bug?

7. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Why would that be a bug? "Hey Siri" only works on the Apple watch if the screen is on and you are on the watch face.

the watch sitting on a stand wouldn't have the screen on. I'm also not sure if Siri even works if the watch is locked? Locked = not on your wrist.

8. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

I am confused by this thread… Are you saying that "hey Siri" stops working on the phone, in all cases, once it has been paired to a watch... And whether or not that watch is on or in use?

That would definitely be a bug…

9. Calismic macrumors member

I have the same problem, "Hey Siri" will no longer work with my iPhone. Even if I'm not wearing the watch, I can yell "HEY SIRI" to my phone and it just ignores me. =(

10. techno-Zen macrumors 6502

Turn it off, and turn on max brightness on your Watch. Thank me later.

11. CTay thread starter macrumors member

I do believe this to be a bug. I think the feature is being taken over by the watch... But.... If the watch is resting on the stand and not awake, it will not react. Therefore, all devices are not responding.

12. CTay thread starter macrumors member

Just did a little testing.....

When watch is on, iPhone "hey Siri" function is trumpt by watch. The phone will not respond. The watch functions as it should... answering to Hey Siri when wrist is raised, but if the phone and watch are both on the stand and charging, neither will respond. This is exactly what the watch should do but the iPhone does not respond as well, thus killing a pretty nice function.

I originally stated that the iPad was not responding as well, but this was incorrect. The setting was simply turned off.

----------

To answer your question, the feature will work correctly on the phone if the watch is turned off.

13. J.gerbes macrumors 6502

The only time I really have problems with the feature is in noisy locations

14. Cyberpower678 macrumors 6502

To clarify I think it's a bug because with the watch paired, iOS thinks "Hey, the watch is accepting Hey Siri commands because it's the closest device to him." but the watch doesn't tell iOS, "Hey I'm locked, so you do Hey Siri now." and thus leaving a non-functional hey siri.

15. Tycho24 macrumors 68020

Tycho24

Just tested it...
    Working fine for me.
    (iPad Air 2, iPhone 6, Apple Watch Sport)
    However, I am running 8.4 beta 4 on the two iOS devices. This may be a bug that got caught.

16. CTay thread starter macrumors member

Ok. Well that could possibly be the case if you are running the beta. I appreciate the feedback.

Anyone able to make this work with 8.3?

17. SinkOrSwim macrumors regular

SinkOrSwim

Let me put it this way.....

The watch is taking the role of picking up the "Hey Siri" query. Maybe turning off the Watch will make your iPhone or iPad pick up the query..... If one of them is charging.

I was expecting that Apple would've implemented Siri to be able to listen to you whenever you want. The jailbroken version of iOS have had it since the iPhone 4s? I don't know why Apple didn't add such feature with options to iOS 8. Concerned about draining the battery too quickly? Of course, but if you put different options to choose from On, Off, Intervals in minutes, then there really shouldn't be any issue.

18. jwball macrumors regular

Do the phones not need a power connection for the "Hey Siri" function to work?

19. Pagemakers macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

Siri on my watch works sporadically. Totally underwhelmed with the whole watch experience.

20. vlad91 macrumors newbie

Are the iPad/iPhone on a charger? Because the 'hey siri' command only works for them if they're charging. The watch probably doesn't take commands when it's off the wrist (locked).

Otherwise, it's likely a bug. As it was mentioned, these devices probably expect the watch to take the query, while it in fact can't, and the iPad/iPhone can't detect that obviously, so you get no response from any device.

I'm very disappointed that Apple didn't test this. I believe this is a very common scenario that almost every watch user will experience.

21. Tycho24 macrumors 68020

Tycho24

Lol, what??
    You think the iPhone can NOT detect whether the Watch is being worn, or is on the charger?? The only thing I think I can say "obviously", is that I'm not sure that you have even the vaguest idea how these products work.

22. vlad91 macrumors newbie

What I'm trying to say is that they can't detect the watch is off the wrist because of the BUG, not because that function is lacking. Also, I know very well how these products work and I don't see any reason for such a negative attitude.

23. Cyberpower678 macrumors 6502

Got a better idea? Because I was thinking the same reason why it won't work. As a matter of fact I was the first one to mention it in this thread.

24. Tycho24 macrumors 68020

Tycho24

Well...
    It's difficult for me to say, because I'm not having the issue.
    But, my iPhone DEFINITELY knows when my Watch is off my wrist.
    When your Watch is charging, does it still pop up all your notifications and what not?? That seems like it would be a good test.

25. RGloverii macrumors newbie

I am running the iOS 8.4 beta, and can confirm that Hey Siri works properly...

With watch on wrist, and phone on dock (charging), here is the behavior I observe:

With watch face off, Hey Siri responds on iPhone. Watch ignores it.
    With watch face on, Hey Siri responds ONLY on watch. Phone ignores it.

Works exactly as you would want, and 100% seamless. Very nice implementation, in my opinion.

So, I suspect it IS a bug on 8.3, and once 8.4 is released, all will be well with the world.