Hey Siri unresponsive when tv is on

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by deeside81, Mar 8, 2018.

1. deeside81 macrumors member

Has anyone noticed when the tv is on hey Siri often doesn’t respond? I also noticed when I have friends round it doesn’t respond most of the time and I have to shout. Is it trying to be not so sensitive to when there are conversations incase it’s accidentally triggered. It’s quite annoying.

2. TrueBlou macrumors 68040

TrueBlou

I’ve actually found it to be the opposite if I’m honest. Certainly compared to my Echo 2. That I had to scream at the top of my voice even over just moderate noise.

The HomePod by comparison is a joy to use, I’ve yet to have to raise my voice to it, even when I’m in the next room.

Maybe it’s positioning? Is it placed somewhere where’s its obstructed by furniture or ornaments?

3. deeside81 thread starter macrumors member

No nothing is obstructing it. Might be the Scottish accent. It’s woeful on my iPhone X.

4. TrueBlou macrumors 68040

TrueBlou

Maybe it’s a regional thing, it manages mine ok which is mostly east coast, though my wife tells me I keep slipping into west coast without realising it (I was born and spent my early years on the west coast).

That’s not to say it’s perfect, there are occasional, no I f*!%?/ did not say that moments :D

5. daijholt macrumors 65816

daijholt

I’ve noticed this too. My HomePod is literally next to the TV (check Rene ritchie’s Setup on his Instagram and you’ll see how I mean, mine is in exactly the same kind of spot as that).

It does feel like it’s trying to ignore sound immediately around it.

6. jonnyb098 macrumors 68030

jonnyb098

I just noticed this today while having the tv up louder than usual and I’m perfectly fine with it. It helps ignore unintended noise from tv/crowds of people. Seems like a smart thing to do. Saying hey Siri louder made her respond.

7. StuartL macrumors member

My HomePod is responsive when the TV is on - especially when a HomePod advert came on the TV at the weekend that Apple, in their wisdom, thinks it's a good idea to have someone on it saying something along the lines of "hey siri, play some music" so my HomePod starts blasting some music out. Quite annoying! The sooner it can be trained to not react to just anyones voice the better.