Hey Siri, watch and iPhone 6s

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by danmart, Sep 26, 2015.

1. danmart macrumors 6502

danmart

I received my new 6S yesterday and had a nightmare upgrading - took me over 5 hour when normally it is smooth and quick. Anyway...

With the new 6s / 6s+ Siri can be listening all the time. You train it to recognise your voice so it won't trigger for anyone else. This works pretty well, in isolation.

The problem occurs when you try to use Hey Siri on the watch and the phone is also in ear-shot. In that instance both items start listening and try to respond. I guess the work-around is not to use the watch when the phone is near by, but I would have expected Apple to handle this use-case more smoothly.

I'll look for any settings to refine the behaviour.

2. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

That does not happen to me. If I Ahoy Timepiece my iPhone stays dark and does nothing. If the watch screen is off and I Ahoy Telephone Siri on the iPhone responds as you would expect.

3. danmart, Sep 26, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2015

danmart thread starter macrumors 6502

danmart

Hmm. More investigation is clearly needed!

ETA: This seem to be behaving now. Sometimes I find these kind of things (coordinating behaviour across multiple devices) need to fail at lease once before getting their act together!?

4. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

In the past, Siri has remained off from my lock screen but since getting the 6S Plus, I have been thinking about turning it on again. I use Hey Siri on my watch of course but some things it wants to do on the phone only. When this happens and I press the iPhone button the process would die unless my phone was unlocked.

Anyhow, just curious if you guys allow Siri on the lock screen or if you feel Siri on the watch covers enough of your needs. The main reason I don't like Siri on my lock screen is the question "Hey Siri, what is my home address"

5. schmidt65 macrumors 6502

If only you could replace 'hey siri' with 'ahoy timepiece'. Feature request for watchOS 3 right there!

6. danmart thread starter macrumors 6502

danmart

With the 6s you train Siri to recognise your specific voice. I haven't tested it exhaustively but it seems fairly discerning.