Hey siri with multiple phones

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by TwoBytes, Jul 22, 2014.

1. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

Sorry if this has been covered

Say you're in a room with lots of iPhones charging and you say 'hey siri' do they all respond?

I can see apple staff having fun with this once the store closes

2. ps3zocker macrumors regular

3. fcomstoc macrumors member

fcomstoc

:) that is a funny problem, I would love to walk into the store and do that.

I have 2 iPhones (Work and Home) I am sure that I will discover how annoying that is unless I turn it off on one of them.

4. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

That would be the funniest thing to witness. Especially if you say "Tell me a story" after you get their attention.

5. matthew2926 macrumors 6502

Could you imagine the Apple stores after iOS 8 is released to the public!?!? All of their devices are stationed on stands that constantly charge them, so all you would have to do is walk past any Apple store and scream "HEY SIRI!!!" and all of the charging devices in the store would reply! Looking forward to this!

6. TwoBytes thread starter macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

This isn't good for families with multiple iPhones. Maybe apple should put in some basic voice recognition of the users, much like Touch ID but for voice.

7. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

The feature is more intended to be used in a car. What good is Siri 20 feet away from you exactly when you can't even see the screen?

8. afsnyder macrumors 65816

There's a reason they let you turn it off. :D

9. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Custom greeting and/or voice recognition would be nice

10. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Some real life trolls can be created by this, just walk up to people texting and say HEY SIRI

11. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

The apple store ones will probably be screwed up to not do that.

----------

The phone must be charging for hey siri to work

12. matthew2926 macrumors 6502

Lol but what about the people with Mophies?

13. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Um... Sucks to be them :D

14. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Siri in the car is mean't to be used so you don't look at the screen.

The MOTO X did this better, it had a seperate core just for listening, so you didn't need to be plugged in to activate, and it would only activate the voice of the phone owner.

15. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

I think it's not unlikely we will see this on the iPhone 6. I just hope voice recognition comes to all iOS 8, with the audio co-processor and always-on only available on 6 onwards of course.

16. xero9 macrumors 6502a

I have two perfectly valid situations.

1) I'm laying in bed (yes my phone is out of my reach at this point), and realize I need to remind myself something in the morning. Just say "Hey Siri! Remind me to blah blah blah at 6am"

2) I went upstairs to bed and it had been a while and my wife hadn't come up to bed yet. "Hey Siri! Text my wife when are you coming to bed?"

Boom!

17. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Probably the same thing that would happen in a room full of Android devices and you say "Ok Google." What happens there?

18. pure-rockstar macrumors regular

Not all of them would hear you. If it's loud enough it would.

19. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

The main problem with Siri right now is that you can't really interact with her like a person. Apple loves to promote the idea by making her sound natural and more human like but the reality is this:

People don't compile full sentences in their heads and then speak. We tend to pause, think and use words like "umm" as our minds search for words and then puts them together in a structure. We also tend to just stop mid sentence and start over. I guess that's what makes us humans and not robots.

Unfortunately, Siri cannot compensate for this behavior so sometimes in mid sentence you may pause or say "umm" and she will get completely thrown off and the only way to resolve it is to physically touch the phone and start over.

20. Joe HS macrumors 6502

Hey Siri only works while your devices are connected to power, so it's unlikely in the situation described by the OP.

Edit: Sorry, you did say whilst charging. Then yes if you projected your voice enough.

21. SanjeevRana macrumors 6502a

SanjeevRana

Nope ... and thats the feature gap for now between Siri & Google Now ... google is catered towards your voice only and it learns the voice pattern everytime you use it ... so after some use, it will only respond to your voice ... i tested this with my daughter ;) ... initially it responded 100% to both of us , then I kept using it a lot for some days ... after that my hit rate was 100% and my daughter's was maybe 5-10%

This setting is available within Google Now to allow them to capture voice and learn patterns ... I believe something similar will come to Siri now that Apple wants to keep it in an always aware context.

22. cariacou macrumors 6502a

cariacou

23. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Exactly. I'm sure Apple is working on making Siri a lot more like Samantha-like and I think that's where the technology is destined to go. Just not there yet...

24. cynics macrumors G4

Hey siri with multiple phones

I'm sure it will use voice recognition like competing products. Too many iPhone out there to just activate by being plugged in and someone saying "Hey Siri".

25. bushido Suspended

bushido

very well put and sums up why i havent used Siri since the first week after i got my old 4S back in the day