Hey Siri

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Dmaynard83, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Dmaynard83 macrumors 6502a

Dmaynard83

Anyone think that the hey Siri feature will always be on without having to touch the device?

Or will it be similar to the iphone where the Siri screen needs to be on for the feature to be active?

2. troop231 macrumors 603

I think you will have to raise your wrist.

3. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

The hey Siri feature only works on the iPhone when it connected to a power source. Hey Siri on the Apple watch I think will most likely only listen when you're wearing the watch.

4. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

"Hey Siri" works when the phone isn't connected to power, if you are already on the Siri screen.

I imagine it will be the same on the watch.

5. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Hey Siri

That's not how it works. You trigger Siri by holding down the power button. She listens for input at that point. If you are already at the Siri screen saying hey Siri doesn't do anything special.

The "Hey Siri" feature was introduced recently to allow users to make Siri listen to input without touching the phone only if the phone is plugged in. This feature comes in handy when driving so you don't have to touch your phone to ask Siri for something.

6. malone18 macrumors member

malone18

Agreed. I understood it to work when the  Watch was awake, so if the screen is visible "Hey Siri" should work.

7. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

It's the home button, not the power button...

Also, saying "Hey Siri" while in the Siri interface definitely does work. I've used it plenty of times when I can't be bothered to press the button while I'm already in the Siri interface.

8. Cayden macrumors 6502a

Cayden

The previous commenter was right. Saying "Hey Siri" when the Siri screen is on allows you to speak to Siri instead of touching the microphone circle on the bottom

9. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Hey Siri

Saying "Hey Siri" at the Siri screen is not the same function as what Apple introduced in iOS 8 (or was it 7?) where you could trigger Siri from anywhere including the lock screen by saying "hey Siri" as long as the iPhone was plugged in. The same function is being brought to the watch. I don't know if Siri will be "listening" all the time or only when your watch is on you're wrist.

Besides, if you have to touch the device to get to the Siri screen it doesn't make sense at that point to say hey Siri when the mic is right there and you're already holding the device.

10. daijholt macrumors 6502a

daijholt

Hey Siri, as originally offered, required (and still does) the phone to be connected to power to work, but the screen doesn't need to be on, it just always listens.

What others here were referring to is that after you've activated siri for a query, and the screen remains on the Siri interface afterwards, you can then say hey siri to issue another command whether plugged in or not. So as long as the siri interface is currently occupying the whole screen, it is also always listening.

As for the watch, It appears that as long as the screen is on, siri will be listening. Thus, raising your wrist and activating the screen will cause siri to listen automatically for the command. Given that apple clearly intends for the watch to be used in increments of seconds, rather than minutes, this shouldn't really have a huge impact on battery life. Not to mention theres probably a chip in there just for it.

11. Dmaynard83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dmaynard83

The "Hey Siri" feature works when plugged in, OR if you are at the Siri screen (even if it's not plugged in).

Give it a try and you will see.

If you watch the keynote he does the same thing. After activating siri, he says "Hey Siri" and it activates the same way the iphone does.

I'm just wondering if it will work without having to touch the device when it's in sleep mode.

12. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

It definitely works with Hey Siri even if you are not holding the phone. I often set my phone near a tv on my desk and it accidently starts sometimes when there is a news story about Syria. I was freaked out until I realized what was happening.

13. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Yes. Yes it is.

14. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

There seems to have been some confusion and now I understand what the OP is talking about. I didn't realize if you have Siri open already you can say hey siri to issue a command. I don't know what the use case for this would be but I thought OP was referring to triggering Siri with the "Hey Siri" command which works from anywhere but the phone needs to be connected to a charger.

15. valleian macrumors regular

valleian

As long as you have your iPhone connected to the Watch and you raise your wrist, from what I've seen, it'll be similar (better) than Ok Google.

16. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

I was confused by this also - I've never had to issue more than one command to siri at a time (other than responses to questions, in which case it's already listening).

17. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I still don't see the use case of leaving the Siri screen open. It's more of a gateway to another app/service or to answer a question.

18. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

I guess if you have a lot of questions to ask :D

Or maybe you didn't ask the right question so you want to try again. I obviously don't have a great reason to do so...

19. Dmaynard83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dmaynard83

Yea I was just curious if the hey Siri command was available even if you didn't touch your watch. Like the moto x phone, where it offers touch less voice commands.

In the keynote he uses hey Siri, but only after turning on the Siri prompt; just like the iPhone.

20. Runt888, Mar 16, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2015

Runt888 macrumors 6502a

According to the Apple Watch site, you don't need to touch the phone.

http://www.apple.com/watch/technology/

21. Dmaynard83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dmaynard83

22. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

And for those that are lazy...here's what it says on the Apple site:

Having Siri with you at all times means you can access it that much more quickly and conveniently. And be even more spontaneous with your requests. Simply raise your wrist and say “Hey Siri,” or press and hold the Digital Crown to dictate messages, get turn-by-turn directions, or stay up to date on your events. You’ll get an instant response to your query.

23. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

If I wanted to try again I'd hit the Mic icon.