1. iphonehype macrumors 6502

Hi, couple questions

1) Is If normal for iPhone & HomePod to activate when saying Hey Siri? I thought HomePod would take presedence, I thought wrong?

2) HomePod kinked iCloud/iPhone works fine. My mums own HomePod doesn’t really work with her voice, is there anything she can do for Siri to learn her voice? She has an iPhone 6 btw

Thank you, extremely grateful for your advise.

2. hardon macrumors regular

--- Post Merged, Feb 10, 2018 ---
    I had problems with Siri on my HomePod initially also, but found that moving the speaker has improved my experience 100%

I think our sofa was absorbing what I was saying, I have also been reading that pausing after “hey Siri” does not help.

Just say “hey Siri play music” Go from there it helps.

3. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Yeah saying hey siri and pausing actually hurts the connection and you have to start again if you pause for more than a second.

4. cyb3rdud3 macrumors 65816

Don’t stop after saying Hey Siri. Just make it a normal sentence. I can see my phone, watch and iPad reacting but the HomePod takes over every single time. You got to try and talk normally.

5. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

When functioning correctly all relevant devices in the vicinity should react to Hey Siri but only the most appropriate device should respond.

When selecting which device responds, things such as your estimated proximity to the device, the nature of the request, and whether or not a device is in active use, are all weighed up to select the ideal device.

For example, if you’re asking Siri to play music and there is a HomePod in the vicinity, odds are you want the music to play on the HomePod. Conversely, if you’ve just raised your Apple Watch and said Hey Siri then odds are you intending the Watch to reply. This all happens in less than a second.

So, step-by-step, what would happen if I said “Hey Siri play some music” in a room containing a HomePod, an iPhone, and an iPad:
    1. “Hey Siri play some music.”
    2. All devices start listening instantly and begin processing my request to play music.
    3. All devices communicate and realise there is a HomePod present and the request is related to music, so the HomePod replies, and the other devices abort.
    Given that this is how Hey Siri is working behind the scenes, it is understandable why it is important, as other posters have mentioned, not to pause between Hey Siri and the request, because it interrupts the device choosing process.

6. hardon macrumors regular

Also having a HomePod low, or on the floor does not help Siri hear you speak if you are standing.

7. SD449 macrumors regular

My watch seems to react when using "Hey Siri" but that should be I have that setting selected the the watch settings, rather than just on raise.

I have found HomePod Siri to be particularly worse than even my watch Siri, especially when trying to get directions.