Hey There!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jjasonwrght, Jan 12, 2008.

1. jjasonwrght macrumors member

jjasonwrght

Hi everyone!

I just really have a few odd questions that are all over the place. Plus I figured for my first post, why not in the basics center?

Ok, first off, I know MWSF is coming up, so I'm obviously not buying till' tuesday XD

My first seemingly stupid question is- Can you install more than one language font display? I know OSX supports a whole bunch of languages that you can install in, but is it like windows where you can install more languages?

Second, is the learning difference that hard to get used to? I've had mixed answers from my friends, so its confused me a bit.

Third, how is the speed of photoshop on a high end MacBook? I don't need it amazingly fast or anything, as right now it is slow on my windows comp. I just need it so that its not lagging amazingly badly.

Last, do you run into alot of files you can't use on the mac? Like not applications, but rather data files that can't be used on mac because their aren't any programs to use them? Is it frequent?

Thanks everyone~

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

shouldn't be hard for most of the people
    if you get the new photoshop CS3, it should be in decent speed, just make sure to get more memory (>1.5G if you ask me)
    not in my case, but really depends on what you do.

3. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

Switching was easy for me. I would recommend reading up on the OS before you make the switch and it's much easier. Apple has some great guides on their website.

Photoshop ran very smoothly on my mid-level Macbook with 1GB of RAM, but I would also suggest getting more. My old Windows notebook had more RAM than the Macbook and still didn't run Photoshop as good as the Mac does.

I never ran into this problem. All of the most common files will most like work on a Mac. Are there any file types in particular that you are concerned about?

4. jjasonwrght thread starter macrumors member

jjasonwrght

Thanks everyone, although I still don't have an answer about the languages. :p

Well the company I work for encodes all of its downloadable videos in .mkv format becase its the hardest to steal content from, but there are verry few codecs out there for it. I haven't really looked around so I don't know if there is one for Mac, but if I can't find anything to support that file type...well it'll be a small yet serious setback.

I'm hoping it does have a codec, it would make life on a mac even more easy. The fact I don't have to BootCamp xp would be a plus, because all the other programs I use are mac compatible. (YAY!:D)

I also need it to display Japanese and Korean fonts, as I'm also a student of international languages.

Thanks again for the answers.

5. sbluetruck macrumors regular

sbluetruck

try downloading VLC Media player if you run into any problems with your format.

VLC plays practically any format out there without a problem, and, it's free :)

don't worry about filetype issues. the only one that you would be "concerned" about would probably be .exe, and well, it's obvious as to why that won't work (no matter what platform)

usually there's a program for everything out there.

TextEdit, Apple's basic text editor, similar to Notepad and Wordpad, can open and save .doc files, so no problem again if you don't have Word.

6. stomer macrumors 6502a

7. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Hi Jason and welcome.

Download Perian. It's a set of free codecs for Quicktime, including the ability to play .mkv format.

Enjoy your mac ;)

8. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

Regarding the languages, yes, OS X has built in support for localization, which refers to the fact that each individual application (including most of the core apps that ship with OS X) can be displayed (menus, etc) in various languages, including Japanese and Korean. It's pretty easy to manage in OS X System Preferences, which you'll see soon! Enjoy!

9. jjasonwrght thread starter macrumors member

jjasonwrght

Thank you so much everyone!!

I hope to be switching to mac in the next week or two! (Provided my heating bills aren't crazy expensive like they are sometimes XD)

From all the things I am hearing, I should be a very happy switcher indeed!! (Not that I wouldn't be anyways :p)

10. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Get a copy of David Pogue's Switching to the Mac or read Apple's Switch 101. Both will help you before and after you switch. Best wishes.