Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pscott

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2005
yo whats up every body

i am a student starting college in 2 days and i needed a computer.

i was gonna spend 2600 $ on a new powerbook 17 inch but it hurt my heart so much...ive never spend that kinda money on anything in my life

so before i went to the apple store, i walked into compusa and i saw they had a demo model of a 17 inch powerbook previous generation. 1.5 ghz 512 ram 80 gb hd 64 mb video and superdrive. it was perfect for me for what i needed to do.

it was only 1600 $ so i bought it....it works perfectly. just one tiny barely noticeable scratch on the bottom. the manufacturers warranty expired so they gave me a deal on TAP for only 200 $....covers manufactuers defects for 2 years. im gonna get safeware for accidental damage protection (http://www.safeware.com)

i was a pc user but i hate winblows xp so i decided to go with a mac.....holy crap i love osx, its so simple and it runs perfectly.

i asked my mac friends and they said 1600 $ is a really good deal for the 17 in powerbook. my friend just bought a brand new 12 inch powerbook same specs as mine for 1600 $ and he was jealous of my 17 inch widescreen for the same price. i am looking on ebay at used powerbooks which are the same model as mine and they are getting sold for like 1800 +, and this one i bought wasnt even really used that much. 1 small scratch on the bottom. it was a demo unit, keyboard works perfectly, screen has no dead pixels.

so did i get a good deal or what??

thanks,
paul

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
pscott said:
yo whats up every body

i am a student starting college in 2 days and i needed a computer.

i was gonna spend 2600 $ on a new powerbook 17 inch but it hurt my heart so much...ive never spend that kinda money on anything in my life

so before i went to the apple store, i walked into compusa and i saw they had a demo model of a 17 inch powerbook previous generation. 1.5 ghz 512 ram 80 gb hd 64 mb video and superdrive. it was perfect for me for what i needed to do.

it was only 1600 $ so i bought it....it works perfectly. just one tiny barely noticeable scratch on the bottom. the manufacturers warranty expired so they gave me a deal on TAP for only 200 $....covers manufactuers defects for 2 years. im gonna get safeware for accidental damage protection (http://www.safeware.com)

i was a pc user but i hate winblows xp so i decided to go with a mac.....holy crap i love osx, its so simple and it runs perfectly.

i asked my mac friends and they said 1600 $ is a really good deal for the 17 in powerbook. my friend just bought a brand new 12 inch powerbook same specs as mine for 1600 $ and he was jealous of my 17 inch widescreen for the same price. i am looking on ebay at used powerbooks which are the same model as mine and they are getting sold for like 1800 +, and this one i bought wasnt even really used that much. 1 small scratch on the bottom. it was a demo unit, keyboard works perfectly, screen has no dead pixels.

so did i get a good deal or what??

thanks,
paul

For the machine alone you probably got a good deal. However, the AppleCare starts the day you purchase the computer. The manufacturer's warranty is NOT expired. It starts from the day the customer purchases the computer. This is the same with Apple refurbished, refreshed or demo products from their retail stores. Other than that...yeah, good deal.

On the other hand, if you went to the Apple Store you could have gotten a new 17" for $2399 edu price, PLUS a free iPod mini ($179) plus $100 off any printer or a free printer ($90), but other than that, the specs are negligable between the old and the new Powerbooks.

pscott

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2005
MovieCutter said:
For the machine alone you probably got a good deal. However, the AppleCare starts the day you purchase the computer. The manufacturer's warranty is NOT expired. It starts from the day the customer purchases the computer. This is the same with Apple refurbished, refreshed or demo products from their retail stores. Other than that...yeah, good deal.

i am aware that applecare starts when the customer purchases the computer. in fact, i was going to buy the apple care, however there was an apple sales rep there who said before he sold me the apple care, he needed to check if the computer was eligible to receive applecare. so he logged in to apple with his rep access, and then typed in the serial number of the computer, and said it wasnt eligible for apple care but compusa could sell me TAP instead. i was suprised but the apple rep even showed me what it said on his computer screen when he looked up my computer eligibility on apples website. I am assuming my unit isnt eligible for applecare because this was a compusa purchased unit and used as a demo in compusa, so mabye the applecare coverage started when compusa purchased the apple to display in their store. therefore i cannot buy a second applecare for it....is that a possibility?

also i am aware of the deal with the free ipod mini. i already own an ipod photo, and i am not interested in buying a printer cause i have a 1 month old hp printer, so getting either of those things would be pointless. i also only paid a 150 for tax at compusa since i bought less expensive stuff. if i went to the apple store, i would have paid like 250 $ in tax or more.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
Regardless of whether it was purchased before or is used as a demo unit...you are eligible for AppleCare if you are a customer purchasing a computer from an authorized Apple reseller. I would call AppleCare and tell them your situation and see if it really is or isn't covered. I wouldn't go near a CompUSA warranty if I could avoid it...then again, I wouldn't go near a CompUSA, but to each their own.

EDIT: Come to think of it, CompUSA should have GIVEN you a warranty because if it isn't covered by AppleCare, it's not your problem, it's theirs.

switchr92

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2005
Wow

That, in my opinion, is no good deal...that, my friend, is a steal. I have very seen a 17" PB for so cheap. I think u made the right choice, although I'm not a big fan of the 17"er (not portable enough 4 me; my 12" iBook is just Perfect). U r lucky!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.