HF10 Tripod/Mic

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Dr Strangelove, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Dr Strangelove macrumors regular

Hi Guys,

Recently purchased an HF10 and love it. Right now I feel like a tripod and microphone would be the next logical purchases for me since I am starting a very cool project for my son.

The tripod will be used around the house and a little outside....i know nothing about them...do you use one for everything or do you need different ones for different purposes?

As far as a mic is concerned I am mainly going to be capturing interview style audio with subjects about 10 feet from the camera.

Thanks for any advice.

2. Dr Strangelove thread starter macrumors regular

Hello folks, I am still searching, any ideas?

3. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

Hey,

I don't think there are tripods for different situations (at least not for consumers, correct me if I'm wrong), so I would buy a lightweight (more easy to carry). But I would make sure the legs are strong enough (I spotted some cheap tripods, but when I saw the show models, the legs were already bending under it's own weight), so try one out, see whether it's strong and durable enough to sustain for a while. Ofcourse try whether you like the system, like how it slides out, I don't think it will be a problem, but who knows.

What could be very handy is a tripod with that thing (can't get the word cause I'm a foreigner) with water and a bubble in it so you can see whether your tripod head is level. (so your shots are level, my tripod doesn't have one, it's driving me crazy).

Then, if you want to make a "pan" (so turning your camera horizontal, for example a panorama, or following someone) it could be handy to buy a tripod with, or an external fluid tripod head . This will make your "pans" more smooth. I believe they cost more, but that I don't know, and you'll have to find that out yourself.

And last, a tripod with "quick release" is usefull, as you don't have to constantly screw your camera on. Just watch the link I'll give you.

Conclusion: You can have about any tripod you want, just make sure it's sturdy, and if you like, with a "leveler". But it's all up to you.

Here's a link to see that most are the same, and price is one of the biggest difference: http://www0.epinions.com/Tripods--fluid_head
    There are some more expensive ones, but they can carry much more weight.

Ok, a lot of talking but now the mic. To be honest I don't know much about microphones. But I would suggest (as other more professionals adviced me) to just buy a rode microphone. Check youtube for "rode video mic" to hear the difference. They are around $150. They are a well known company (so no unknown cheap asian brand) that build microphones for a lower price. And this one is very good and "cheap". Check other websites for a proper mic. When you look for a mic yourself, make sure it uses a mini jack for output.
    cause that's what your camera input is (I believe).

Good luck.

4. Dr Strangelove thread starter macrumors regular

I guess I need to go to a camera shop and take a look first hand.

5. Berit Moller macrumors newbie

Hi Dr
    I myself are considering buying a tripod for my HF 10. Even though the camera is very small I think I will go for a tripod with a good pan head with oil. Also I consider double sliding leggs. Both features I loved when using a much heavier camera many years ago. You could argue that such a tripod is a bit overkill for such a small camera but I am going to have a look at the Manfrotto Video kit 501HDV,547B which looks rather small and yet seem to have the features I look for. My experience with a pro Sachtler tripod makes me value the smooth pan of a oilhead and the quick level change of the sliding leggs. However this type of tripod is heavier and more expensive than light weight cheap models, but I find that the picture quality the HF 10 demand good quality gear. If you deside to go for a much ligther tripod make sure that the legges are completely stabil if you put some weight on the tripod with the leggs in the tallest posistion. Many leightweight tripods tend to bend their leggs when the camera is worked – which gives you shaken video sequences. Hope you find a good tripod.:)
    Berit

6. Dr Strangelove thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, these tripods are super expensive. There is nothing under say $100 that you would suggest?

7. Berit Moller macrumors newbie

Hi Dr
    It really depends on what for and how you plan to use the tripod. Firstly I don't see a reason to put the HF10 on a tripod if you don't need to do a smooth pan - and for that you need a good head. They are traditionally costly. Secondly: If you just need to place the camera and don't plan to operate the camre by moving it (pan tilt, zoom aso) anything might function ok. But as soon as you start touching the camera there is need for a lot of stability (no wobly leggs) - even though the camera is small. It is practically impossible to make a smooth pan without a liquid head.
    Maybe you could look for a secon hand model. If the tripod is a quality one a used tripod is better than a new cheap model.
    Hope you find something that satisfies your needs.
    Berit

8. Berit Moller macrumors newbie

9. dagomike macrumors 65816

AV accessories can get pricey fast. All depends what you're looking to do. Good gear will last a long time and make using your camera enjoyable to use.

I mean, you can get any old generic tripod for a hundred bucks or a real nice Sachtler with a fluid head. Some things to look for, make sure it can support your camera and gear, which shouldn't be a problem. Also, look at the legs. Make sure they'll work for your situation. Sometime the spreaders get in the way. All the settings are important so it helps to use it. Get a feel for how it will tilt and pan. Also if you're going to be setting up and tearing down frequently, something that can be folded up quickly is nice.

For mics, I think lav mics are probably the most versatile. You can probably find something at Rat Shack for cheap, particularly wired. I use Sennheiser G2 100 kit most every day. Nice little units.

10. sb11710 macrumors newbie

Come on, lets be honest the the HF-10 weighs about 15 ounces less than a pound you can get whatever tripod you want just make sure its tall enough for you needs and has a nice head.

I second the Rode VideoMic although I don't have it I hear good things about it. Just remember the HF-10 has a Mini "S" Advanced Accessory Shoe so besides the Canon DM-100 your going to need a Cold Shoe Adapter for any other mic to fit on the HF-10.

11. fxstb2002 macrumors member

I use a cheap garage sale tripod and a wired lavaliere mic from Radio Shack with mine. It all works fine for interview subjects.