HFS+ changed to Microsoft Reserved!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by luffx, Sep 18, 2008.

1. luffx macrumors regular

Hey all,

I think I just did something horrible.

So my powerbook G4 doesn't turn on anymore. So I figured I would remove the HD and extract the data. I have an IDE to USB adapter, so I hooked it up plugged it in. I should've hooked it up to another Mac, for an easy read, but instead I hooked it up to my Vista machine. /facepalm.

I wasn't paying attention and it asked what partition style to mount it as, so I selected GUID (over MBR), and now it claims it's a Microsoft Reserved drive. I doubt it reformatted, since I never saw any sign of it, and I doubt Microsoft would be so dumb as to prompt to format drives with unknown file types...oh...wait. :p

So I tried using HFSExplorer on the PC to read it, but it states there aren't any HFS volumes. So then I tried to plug it into a mac, but it won't mount the partition and reads it as a Microsoft Reserved disk. Is there anyway to change it back w/o losing data, assuming it's not lost already?

thanks,
    ~Luf.

2. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Not likely.

You may try to use one of the many data recovery tools, which will fish out your files but it won't be able to recover the names of those files except MP3's which iTunes will rename when importing (based on the data in the file). Its too bad the data recovery option was taken out of leopard!!:mad:

3. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

Each filesystem has a hexadecimal ID. HFS+ is 0xAF. It might be that the identifier has been changed, but the content not destroyed. Acronis should be able to change it.

Wikipedia, however, gives a grim view of the situation:

It looks like Windows has formatted the disk, and because you chose GPT, it also created an MSR partition.

Did you try booting your Powerbook in Target Disc Mode first? It basically turns the laptop in to a USB drive. You could try putting it back and hoping that Windows is just being stupid.

4. luffx thread starter macrumors regular

I didn't try Target Disc Mode b/c my computer wouldn't power on to begin with. Like....it was completely dead. No battery charge, not even able to turn on while plugged in after resetting the PMU. So I just removed the disk and attempted to retrieve the data. I have no idea why I didn't just plug it into my iMac, I was just being dumb. :mad:

5. luffx thread starter macrumors regular

I have Acronis, so I'll give that a try later tonight.

Thanks for the quick advice!

~Luf.