HFS+ extended to journaled, How to.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by applesupergeek, Mar 11, 2010.

1. applesupergeek macrumors 6502a

Hey guys, can anyone help here I have super duper clone of drive that I want to clone to an internal hd of an imac. Problem is the superduper clone is not a journaled fs image. When I format the imac disk to journaled and then try to restore from the clone (via superduper) it's restored as a non journaled volume, which is not what I want. Of course I guess it's expected, since it takes the whole image including partitions. Plain copy won't work either as the os won't allow me to copy "invisible" (I suppose this is hidden) files.

And I am also confused as to how to change an existing image to journaled, maybe I 've not searched in the right places, but I have googled for it, and it seems from what I 've read elsewhere it's not hard to do, but I have found out how.

Any help appreciated. :)

2. Queso macrumors G4

Boot from the clone, start up Disk Utility, select the cloned drive in there and click Enable Journaling. Then wait whilst it does it.

3. applesupergeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

hey thanks a lot for the quick reply, and for wanting to help, but I can't find where the enable journaling command is, it's not in the right pane, nor is it on the menu, or when I right click on the disk...

edit:
    got it, it was right there staring at me, can't believe I missed it, it is a bit of strange placement on the top there admittedly, would have saved me trouble of cloning and then re-copying everything....oh well.

Kudos for the help.

Btw, why won't the OS just let me copy every file I want from one disk to another even hidden files??

4. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

To make the fix more clear. You can enable journaling by opening Disk Utility, selecting the volume in question, then choose File --> Enable Journaling.

Or by clicking the green "Enable Journaling" button at the top.

The reason you can't copy everything by dragging and dropping is because you don't have permission to many of the files inside the folders at the top level. /private for example.

5. applesupergeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks, as per my edit I found it!

sudo finder would give me permission then, right?

6. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

I know you found, but I don't think it was really clear as to where it was from what you stated. Just wanted to make it more clear for those who may see this later on.

Well you can't really "sudo" Finder. You would be using sudo in the Terminal to invoke root access. You could do:

Code:
    sudo cp -R / /Volumes/otherdrive
    You will probably still get errors though as cp doesn't support some file types such as sockets. A better option would be to use asr, rsync or ditto.

7. applesupergeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

Great post thanks, thought I could sudo finder as in ubuntu where you sudo Nautilus.