HFS+ Failure

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macsavvytech, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Ok This is now the second time this has happened to me.
    After coming home from a two and a half month holiday i found that my mac would only boot into windows and after trying got fix permissions, reset PRAM and the rest i finally gave in and just restored my machine from a time machine backup its has been a month since then and my machine will no longer boot into mac! When i boot it displays a loading bar and that goes about 1/3 across before freezing for about 3 seconds then going to the normal loading screen with the apple and the grey beach ball. I then proceeded to choose my Macintosh HD at startup by holding alt and that failed too, I also noticed that the Macintosh HD read EFI Boot not Macintosh HD (note it was not in the progress of updating when this error occurred). The last time i booted into mac before this happened i was constantly getting errors from OS X stating that it couldn't backup to the time machine even though the disk was connected! After a while i stopped time machine and tried to run a backup myself as in right click "start backup now" or whatever it is that constantly was checking for changes and the next day i restarted my computer into Windows and it would no longer boot into mac. I am not worried about data loss but this has now happened twice and another user when it happened the first time stated he had been having this same problem and he had to reinstall every now and then! This isn't really acceptable to me and if this is a fault with the machine i am willing to have a major fight with apple (not court or anything but phone call full of yelling etc). This really is putting a dent in my full believing in Apple and i hope there is a fix for this, however considering it has happened under a fresh install i doubt its software related (i restored time machine but only restored data didn't format the entire disk, as in i reformatted it installed snow leopard then restored my files).

2. ale500 macrumors regular

There are (at least) 2 possibilities:
    Harddisk failure: run the hw diagnostics from your installation media.
    A corrupted filesystem will cause loads of problems too, be sure to backup as much as possible, run diskutility from the installation media and check your harddisk. You can also (after backup) wipe your disk, reinstall clean.

btw: maybe some software corrupts the hfs+ partition... every now and then...

3. Macsavvytech thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Hardy doubt chrome, photoshop, text wrangler, minecraft (java game), cyber duck or daisy disk will do it there may be a few more but pretty much they are all fro major companies and i haven't installed any new programs since this first started happening, my hard drive is the apple SSD (i wasn't very techy when i bought the comp).

4. Macsavvytech thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

I think i am going to ring apple tonight, has anyone got any other ideas?

5. /user/me macrumors 6502

It sounds like your hard drive went kaploohey.

6. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

If you have an external Hard Drive connected, shut down and disconnect any/all external drives.

Boot the MacOS again but immediately hold down the 'Apple' and 'S' keys. You should see some scrolling text on a black background. When it finishes scrolling, release the keys and type exactly:

fsck -fy

and hit enter.

If (after a while) the process reports "the drive 'blah' appears to be ok, then type:

reboot

and hit enter.

If it doesn't, and says it repaired or changed something, type reboot and hold the 'Apple" and 'S' keys again and repeat the procedure.

Once you're booting/re-booting without holding the 'Apple' and 'S' keys, hold the 'shift' key down immediately after the chime sound. This will disable third party extensions and many other MacOS add-ons that are built in. It will take a while to boot so be patient. This is "Safe Mode". Auto-Login will be disabled as will internet access and other things.

If it boots successfully, you can try running a permissions repair. You may even want to look into the system.log and console.log (using "Console" in Applications/Utilities) to look at previous boot-up attempts to see if any major problems are reported.

Whilst booted in "Safe Mode", try connecting your external drive and run Disk Utility to Verify the disk.

If you do have an external disk with your Time Machine backup, I suspect that it might be Time Machine doing something due to the elapsed time whilst you were away. Whether it's simply taking a long time (removing old/aged backups perhaps) or it's failing, I don't know. The system.log and console.log may give you a clue.

Of course, if Apple will assist for free on a software issue, go for it. If it turns out to be hardware and you are covered under new or AppleCare, then you're protected.

If none of the above helps, then I apologize for wasting your time. :)

Good luck!

7. Macsavvytech thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

I may just point out the computer still boots into windows the only reason i believe it to be hardware/firmware related is the fact it seems to be a recurring problem i am going to try what the above poster suggested and if that fixes it for good, then i am happy if not then i am going to have a long talk to Apple.
    will post my results in round 5 hours i am currently at college and i have got a doctors appointment after that but once i get home i will try what the above poster suggested

8. Macsavvytech thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

I tried the command - s at startup and i didnt work i think it is because its booting into EFI Boot not macosx i believe this as when i hold alt at startup i see EFI Boot and Windos HD

9. Macsavvytech thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Can anybody think of a solution apart from the obvious to run apple?