HFS+ Journaled over HFS+?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JimmyDThing, Dec 28, 2007.

1. JimmyDThing macrumors regular

What are the advantages of HFS+ Journaled over just regular HFS+?

I formatted my external drive HFS+, but now I'm wondering if I should reformat it HFS+ Journaled...

2. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

You can only run OS X if its formatted in HFS+ Journaled....other than that, I'll defer to someone else.

I think if you are going to be using it for storage HFS+ should be fine

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Journaling makes it less likely that it will become corrupt in a power failure or crash.

4. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Unless the journal corrupts...

I had my external firewire drive corrupt the journal. It was unfixable with any standard tool on the OS.

I found a great little C program that disables the journal in the drive headers, and then I was able to recover all data, but it had to be reformatted in order to cure all the damage that was done to the file system by the original corruption.

It is unfortunate that Apple gives the impression that the drive is toast. An error that called for expert intervention (or DiskWarrior??) would be better.

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I would advise using Journaling. The chance of the journal becoming corrupt is a risk outweighed by it's protective qualities.

6. JimmyDThing thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys... I might just do it now before I have too much on there.... I have about 150 Gigs of crap right now... it's only going to get bigger, sooner the better.

Thanks again!