HFS to APFS - Deduplicate Existing Files

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by LERsince1991, Jun 17, 2017.

1. LERsince1991 macrumors 65816

As the title suggests I will convert all my HFS drives (internal and external) over to APFS, I believe this is to be a seamless process without loss of files, but will its deduplication capabilities work on existing duplicated files?

For example will it run deduplication comparison on existing files to create additional space where possible, or will it only log new copies.

Bonus question - On many files I already use hard links to avoid duplicated data, I believe these hard links will remain OK once converted?

Thanks,

2. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Conversion should be smooth, yes. Note though that per default Apple doesn't convert HDDs. Only disks that have an SSD element, presumably because of changes in block size or something like that, that would decrease performance on spinning platter disks.

Deduplication of existing duplicates is something I'd find highly unlikely. Can't say more than that. I have an APFS disk, but it was formatted fresh.

Your links will stay fine.

3. KALLT macrumors 601

APFS doesn’t support deduplication. Cloning is done only when copying files.

File-to-file hard links should be fine.