HGST 1.5TB 5k1500 hdd

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Bbafett, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Bbafett macrumors regular

I am looking at upgrading my mid 2010 macbook pro to the new 9.5mm 1.5TB 5k1500 hdd. Right now I have a large itunes library stored on external 1tb hd and some internal storage with OS on original 320GB hdd, but hate having to plug the external hd up to watch a movie through itunes. Anyone know of any issues with this drive or a better way to store and have a backup of my data? Right now the storage on the external doesn't have a backup and once I get everything moved over the 1 tb will be a backup of my internal hdd til it gets bigger than 1 tb.

What is the best way to merge the external hd(itunes) with internal current os with the new 1.5tb internal hdd? I have heard about Carbon Copy for making a copy of my drives but don't want anything to screw up my storage. Any advice appreciated.

2. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

1. Get a external drive housing.
    2. Swap the new HD for the old in your Mac.
    3. Put the old HD in the housing.
    4. Connect the drive, and boot the Mac while holding down the Option key.
    5. It will boot to the old hard drive. Now use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone that drive to the new internal drive.
    6. Shut down, disconnect the external drive and reboot. You will now be running off of the new drive.
    7. Connect your external data drive and drag the contents to the appropriate places on your new drive.
    8. When satisfied, you should be able to use CCC to clone your new internal drive to the external data drive, which will become your (bootable) backup drive.

3. Bbafett thread starter macrumors regular

Good drive

Here is an update. I did get this 1.5 hdd drive and switched out the original macbook pro drive for it. I used Carbon Copy to get everything cloned to the new drive. Works great. No issues with it whatsoever. I have a full backup of my new drive on my 1tb external that is cloned with CCC just in case something happens on the HDD.

I do recommend this HGST 1.5TB hdd for those interested with large Itunes libraries that need more space in their macbook pro. Got it off Amazon for those interested.