HHD replacement to SSD 21.5 late 2013

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Dionysus2112, May 23, 2014.

1. Dionysus2112 macrumors newbie

Just picked up the step iMac 21.5" late 2013 model with the gt750m, was curious I have a Samsung 250GB EVO SSD.
    Can I change the 1tb spinning 5400rpm slow HD, with the EVO? as long as I have the tools to open the comp and the adhesive replacements?

Is is a SATA interface so I just swap out the old HDD like normal, thx in advance.

2. jdblas69 macrumors regular

Yes it is a normal SATA connection.

Your braver than me I would not attempt to crack one of those open, but if your comfortable doing that sort of thing then it is doable.

Have you considered throwing the SSD in an enclosure and use it as your boot drive connected via USB or thunderbolt?

There are many many threads on using an external SSD boot drive around here.

3. robo456 macrumors 6502

robo456

Sorry for the thread hijack...

Let's say the OP does go with an external drive... especially a boot drive... how does that work when it comes to the computer sleeping/hibernating?

If you wiggle the mouse or press a key, will that wake up the external drive as well?

--rob

4. Dionysus2112 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have seen a ton of video's on how to remove the screen, this isn't anymore daunting of a tasks as building a PC from scratch.
    So I'am not that intimidated by the challenge I dont want to wait for a BTO or pay Apples price. thank you.

5. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Just keep in mind that Apple's been known to use proprietary HDD thermometers, so if you swap out the Apple HDD for a non-Apple SSD, your fans may be on full all of the time.

6. Dionysus2112 thread starter macrumors newbie

This is interesting, but an SSD run really cool.

7. jdblas69 macrumors regular

Many posters on here have had no issues with sleep/wake on an external. Some will make sure in energy savings that put the external drive to sleep is not checked others have checked it and still worked fine. The quality of the SSD may cause your mileage to be varied, but sticking with the top names, samsung, crucial you should be fine. That being said of course having the SSD internally installed is your best option, but based on the feedback from others running from an external is becoming a pretty solid choice.

8. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Yes, but your fans will still be on full speed.

9. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

10. truciet, May 23, 2014
    Last edited: May 24, 2014

truciet macrumors 6502

HHD replacement to SSD 21.5 late 2013

I believe this no longer applies to 2012-2013 iMac's. Can anyone confirm?

Edit: Fan speed is affected when you use another 3.5 HD. If you swap it with a SSD, you will not have any issues with the fan speed.

11. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Exactly.

If you attempt this surgery and then have a logic board or GPU failure during the warranty period, you will pay Apple's price and it won't be cheap. :p

I've got nothing against opening up one's iMacs and fully intend to do so with my own at some point in the future. I wouldn't dare do so while it's still under warranty, however.

This is why I am currently booting to an externally-connected Thunderbolt SSD. In 3 year's time after the AppleCare has expired, I will swap out the internal SSD for a much larger PCIe drive. By that time they should be more abundant and inexpensive.