Hi : ) - 13" MBP fell and got a bump plus two other problems!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by igmolinav, Dec 25, 2014.

1. igmolinav macrumors 65816

Hi,

A year and half ago, my 13" MBP fell onto the ground and got a bump right at the CD/DVD entrance. The CDs/DVDs were able to get in easily; but to have the CD/DVD to come out, one had to turn the computer in a ninety degree angle! In several authorized repair centers I was told that it was not possible bring out the bump of the one-piece aluminum 13" MBP. As a consequence of the fall, a year and half later, Airport does not work anymore and often the computer screen goes into a black out mode if one stops using the computer for a few minutes. If the computer goes to sleep and a bit later is awakened, the system will turn on, but the screen will remain black. My question to you is, out of these three problems, the bump, Airport, black-out, what can be fixed?

I ask because in two of the authorized repair centers, they told me the bump is not repairable!

Is there a repair center you may know of that may repair apple computer to their original condition?

Thank you, kind regards,

Igmolinav : ) !!!

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

The top case is not repairable, but can be replaced.
    If the case is dented, and affects the CD drive mechanically, then the "fix" is to replace the top case.
    Next time, when you return to a authorized repair center, ask about replacing the top case.
    A repair shop will charge a lot for labor for that kind of job.
    If you want to replace that yourself, you might find used top cases on eBay, etc.

3. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

The black screen sounds like a sleep/wake issue I had with my 09 13" MBP. After several hard drive and hard drive cable replacements and a battery replacement, it seems to have gone away. Unfortunately I have no idea if your problem is the same as mine. It's possible you damaged the display when it dropped. I might try using an external display and see if that works as a workaround. Any computer display will work if you have the right adapter for Mini DisplayPort.

4. crawler1975 macrumors regular

crawler1975

"As a consequence of the fall, a year and half later, Airport does not work anymore and often the computer screen goes into a black out mode if one stops using the computer for a few minutes." - I am sure that because of you dropping your macbook a year ago it didn't cause your airport not to work and computer screen going blank after a few minutes a year and a half after (hope you understand). There must be something else that caused it - either the component is failing (on its own) or it is caused by other factors such as - electrical surge, human factor(spillage) etc. As the macbook is a unibody, you will need to change/replace the whole part that have the bump. as others have said, you can check out ebay and do a DIY. I am pretty sure the service centers will charge you an arm and a leg to get that replaced - to the point of just adding extra $$$ you could buy yourself a new macbook.

5. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi,

Thank you for your answers : ) !!!

I'll try to see how much a top case
    costs and talk about labor with a
    technician; also see if I can do it
    myself

Very kind regards,

igmolinav : ) !!!