Hi 8 to imac g4

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by theposse, Feb 14, 2008.

1. theposse macrumors regular

i would like to make a dvd from my hi 8 tapes but the problem is that i have an imac g4 (no usb 2.0 hubs) only firewire.
    So when i connect the camcorder with the cables provided it says its too slow and that i need to use usb 2.0,
    Does a cable exist from camcorder usb to firewire.
    Thanks for any advice.
    Scottie

2. -DH macrumors 65816

>>i have an imac g4 (no usb 2.0 hubs) only firewire<<

That's a good thing as Apple's family of NLEs prefers Firewire for video work. But you failed to mention which camera you're using that doesn't have a Firewire connection. If it's a Digital8 camcorder, it should have an iLink connection (Sony's term for Firewire). But if it's an analog Hi8 camera, you'll need a Qualified DV device (camcorder, VTR or converter) to go between the camera and your Mac.

-DH

3. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

This is how I got my Hi8 material into my computer. Subset of what -DH said.
    HI8 camera to Sony miniDV camcorder via audio cables and s-video cable.
    MiniDV camcorder to Macbook or Power Mac G5 via firewire. Camcorder set for pass thru.
    I tried FCE (2.0? I think) and I got dropped frames. I tried FootTrack, but I think I had a problem. Can't remember. But then I used iMovie '08.
    Still working at splitting.

Hope that helps.

Tim

4. theposse thread starter macrumors regular

thanks

I haven't bought a hi8 camcorder as of yet but i have a load of my dads hi8 tapes and he wants them on DVD.
    If i buy one with this ilink will it go from ilink to firewire or usb.
    Also i saw on the net that you can buy usb,firewire cables that you can interchange the connections on it but would that work.
    Thanks for the advice.
    Cheers
    Scottie

5. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

I'm not sure if you can buy a Hi8 with iLink/1394/Firewire.
    Hi8 is a good quality analog format.

So you a device to get from Analog to Digital.
    I use a Hi8 camcorder connected to my miniDV camcorder and then into the computer with Firewire.
    You probably don't want to spent too much money on Hi8 equipment. I had trouble finding a cleaning tape for my Dad's Hi8 camcorder.

6. -DH macrumors 65816

Sony's Digital8 camcorders usually do have a Firewire connection. A lot of people get confused and call a Digital8 camera a Hi8 camera all because you can record a Digital8 signal onto Hi8 tape stock.

Keep in mind that when talking about Firewire, iLink, IEEE1394 and DV ports, all are referring to the exact same thing. But this is NOT the same as USB. USB transfers dta in short bursts (packets) while Firewire (iLink, IEEE1394 and DV) transfers data in a sustained stream, which is what most NLEs need.

But if you're talking about a real Hi8 camera, then no, it won't have a Firewire port. Hi8 cameras were analog only. For those you'd need a qualified DV device (DV camcorder, VTR or converter) to convert the camera's analog signal to a digital signal for the capture. The Canopus ADVC110 is probably the most recommended converter ... but if you have more money, get the ADVC300 with a built-in TBC.

-DH