Hi all, i am a new mac user, i have problem for VNC remote

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ring1234, Dec 17, 2009.

1. ring1234 macrumors newbie

Hi all, i am new to this forum , nice to meet you all :)

Recently I brought a Mac Mini, it is great, the speed is very fast and very stable. I simply love it.

However, I want to remote it from my office ( office --> home), my office is using all windows xp. I searched the internet and found that there is no "remote desktop" for Mac OS, but it has VNC.

I tried to VNC my mac mini, but it is very slow. I have try to VNC it from my home LAN network, but it is still too slow, the screen refresh rate is unreasonable, it is slower than VNC windows XP than 3 times...

How can I increase the VNC speed for my MAC ?

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I use Vine server on my mini. I find its much faster than the builtin VNC server.

3. ring1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

i have tried Vine, but it seems same speed

what is your setting ?

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I won't be able to tell you until I return from my vacation in the new year but I will follow up then.

5. Makosuke macrumors 603

Not sure what settings you're using, but generally reducing the colors to thousands or even 256 will help quite a bit; there are also some compression options that may help if they're not turned on.

That said, I haven't used VNC in a while, as the Apple-specific flavor of remote control, Apple Remote Desktop, is built in to 10.5, and is much smoother than VNC. Pretty sure there's no client for Windows, though, so that won't help in your particular situation.

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Default settings. Not running the system server. Using UltraVNC as the client.