HI all, I new and have a question.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by footballforever, Feb 18, 2008.

1. footballforever macrumors member

I'm just getting into the mac world, been a pc user for many years and thats my line of work, I'm a pc-tech. anyway I bought an Ibook on eBay to get me started and it was one of the last model Ibook that were made so I know the specs are good, if you think the specs are good and do you guys think I will be getting a few good more years out of it... I will list the specs below, let me know what you think.

LOL, after all that writing the main reason why I;m posting this message is because the HDD is a 60 gb Ultra ATA/4200prm, I would like to know if somebody can tell me where I can buy a new and bigger HDD, like what are goods sites?

Features:
    • 1.42 GHz PowerPC G4 processor; 512 level 2 cache
    • 1 GB of DDR SDRAM; supports up to 1.5GB
    • 60GB Ultra ATA/100 4200 RPM hard drive
    • Slot-Loading SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    *Writes DVD±R discs at up to 8x speed
    *Writes DVD±RW discs at up to 4x speed
    *Reads DVDs at up to 8x speed
    *Writes CD-R discs at up to 24x speed
    *Writes CD-RW discs at up to 16x speed
    *Reads CDs at up to 24x speed
    • 14.1-inch (diagonal) TFT acive matrix XGA color display
    * Support for millions of colors at 1024 x 768 pixel resolution
    * Support for resolution scaling to 800 x 600 pixel and 640 x 480 pixel resolution with millions of colors
    • ATI Mobility Radeon 9550 with 32MB of dedicated video memory and AGP 4X support
    • Built-in 10/100BASE-T Ethernet and 56K V.92 Modem
    • Built-in Airport Extreme Wireless Networking (WiFi 802.11g) and Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate)
    • Firewire 400 port
    • Two high speed USB 2.0 ports
    • VGA Video output; S-Video and composite video output
    • Lithium-ion battery for up to 6 hours of running time
    • Apple VGA Display Adapter
    • Modem Cable
    • Power Adapter
    • AC Wall Plug
    • Power Cord
    • Lithium-ion battery

Thanks.

2. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

Well, first of all congratulations both on making the switch and snagging what I suppose is a G4 iBook? Lovely computer.
    The HDD acquisition depends on where you are. I got mine from a German reseller and paid about 100€ for a 250GB 2,5" one. Before you buy stuff, you might want to check sites like macfixit.com for tutorials on how to replace your notebook's harddrive. I had no problems with the MacBook, but I think the G4s were a bit naughty in terms of upgrading.

3. footballforever thread starter macrumors member

thanks, and yes I'm sorry, It's a Ibook G4. I want a bigger HDD.

4. bstreiff macrumors regular

The iBook will take a standard Parallel ATA laptop hard drive; however, actually replacing the hard drive is a long and complex process-- a friend and I have replaced three dead hard drives out of 12" iBooks, and each took at least an hour and a whiteboard to keep track of which pieces went where.

This website has plenty of pictures of the process for the 12" iBooks:

http://www.faqintosh.com/risorse/en/guides/hw/ibook/g4hd/

I've never disassembled a 14", but I can't imagine that the process would be terribly dissimilar.

5. footballforever thread starter macrumors member

I know, I just found that site before, wow, this stinks.

6. bstreiff macrumors regular

Yeah, it does. My friend also has an iBook G3 that he used as a 'guest computer' with a broken power jack-- it has remained this way mostly because neither of us look forward to the amount of time it takes to disassemble it and get to it to fix it.

Being built solidly does come at a price, unfortunately. :/

7. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

i attempted to replace the 40gb drive out of my ibook G3 i gave up on step 50 and put it back together while i still remembered how

8. TSE macrumors 68030

Congrats on the iBook, unfortunately those were one of the hardest Apple laptops, if not the hardest Apple laptops, to take apart and replace parts in.

The new MacBooks RAM and Hard Drive are both easily upgraded, about a 5 minute process.

9. footballforever thread starter macrumors member

just reiceved my IBOOK today, and I can't believe the condition it's in, it's like brand new, I'm so stoked about it, I thought I would have to clean it up and what not, nope like brand new, it cames in the box with everything like it was listed, it was bought from Compusa, the thing looks new, I will try and post a pic later.