Hi all Im looking into my first MBP...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sam2lucky13, May 26, 2011.

1. Sam2lucky13 macrumors 6502

Sam2lucky13

I would like to get a MBP 13" i7 but I have heard rumors that they are prone to overheating and the turbo boost is actually disabled to reduce this issue?

I browsed the first page and havent seen it mentioned is this exaggerated?

Also Im not a techy but can someone recommend the most reliable SSD in around 120 gbs?

Thanks in advance for your time. Sam

2. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

They're fine, just get it it.

Forget SSD for now - too many problems. Not worth it.

3. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Hey Sam,

The 17" is a terrific machine and there's no real overheating problem. Turbo boost has been proven to work many times but there is still a few people who haven't figured that out yet. Even the most reliable tech review sites have confirmed this so it's completely settled unless you are the type of person who still thinks the moon landing was faked. :)

On the SSD question you best bet is to just get the Apple one. Its problem free for most users and the performance is a huge upgrade compared to any standard harddrive. If you don't mind considerable hassles installing and upgrading the firmware then I'd recommend the Vertex 3 from OCZ or something from OCZ.

Welcome the Macrumrors!

4. Sam2lucky13 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sam2lucky13

5. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

My i5 runs fine. In fact it's quieter and cooler than the Black MacBook I had replaced it with. SSD are great! However the cost per GB are outrageous. If you need space like I do, than the traditional hard drives are your best bang for our buck.

6. Sam2lucky13 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sam2lucky13

I think ive just about decided to go with an i5...If I took the pepsi challenge between the i7 and i5 I doubt id be able to tell the difference.

Im going to order through amazon so i can save 150 in tax so unfortunately the more reliable ssd through apple isnt an option, not too concerned about disk space.

How about owc in either 115 gb or 120? Are they hassle free?