Hi all. I'm trying to import an xml file from PPro 5.5 to FCP 7

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by oren2k, May 5, 2013.

1. oren2k macrumors newbie

Hi all

I'm trying to import an xml file from PPro 5.5 to FCP 7.
    The footage shote on a Panasonic P2 HD as a MXF files and I want it to be converted to a ProRes 422 HQ (there are no Proxy files at the original files)
    I opened the project in PPro on my MacBook pro and import all the MXF video files and watch them perfect.
    I marked all the bins and choose file > export > xml to FCP and save it on a external HDD.
    I took the HDD and connected it to a Mac V - 10.6.8 that do not have a PPro but have FCP7.
    Transfer all the Project to the Internal hard drive. Open FCP7 and importing the xml file.

I'm getting a message that the project was tracoded well but there some error.
    At the log error it giving me the next message
    : Unable to attach specified media file to new clip.
    and in the browser the files look offline

Am I doing something wrong?

Oren

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

FCP 7 can't read MXF files. You either need to use a different product to convert from MXF to ProRes or you need to use FCP's Log and Transfer function to load in the P2 files (the original card structures will need to be intact for this).

3. oren2k thread starter macrumors newbie

I already tried the Log and Transfer function. That was my first option but it came with a message that FCP can't recognize the files format.
    My question is when I'm importing a xml file that I made in Premiere pro to FCP is it spose to generate all the clip at the format I chosen? or do I need to convert them first and save them somewhere on my computer?

Everywhere I checked on the world wide web it didn't anything about converting the video mxf file first.

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

In order for long and transfer to work the file and folder structure found on the P2 card has to be 100% intact. You can't use log and transfer on the MXF file itself as FCP needs the metadata found in the corresponding files to properly process the clip.

The XML is just a text document describing, for lack of a better term, how the project is laid out, file paths to the media, etc.,. It doesn't contain any media itself. Trying converting the media first.