Hi all, just got a MacBook Pro 17

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HdiaS4, Dec 28, 2009.

1. HdiaS4 macrumors newbie

Hello all, my name is Haime and i have just switched. Used pcs my entire life(27 years) and finally had to come to the realization that pcs(windows) is algging a good 5 years behind Mac. Sad but true.

So far i love it, been installing lots of new apps, got boot camp working well(couldn't complete let go yet) and even parallels. I'm a very happy camper right now.
    Here couple questions thou, i know i just got the "old" MBP and the new one with teh core I7 should be coming out soon, how soon do you guys thing? I read soo much miss information that i'm not even sure what to believe? But what is the rumor?

Also will the new one trully support SSD drives? Any chances that SL will come out with a patch or update to fully integrate trim command?

Thanks.

2. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Glad you're loving your Mac. You have a mega machine with the 17-inch MacBook Pro. You may send a refresh to the MBP line in these first couple months of 2010. Of course, you might not, but it is very possible.

You have a very competent machine though, so I would not worry about it.

Macs also hold decent resell value, so if you ever want to upgrade, a buy and sell the old one trick, can sometimes not be too costly.

However, just enjoy your new machine. It's really fantastic!

3. HdiaS4 thread starter macrumors newbie

You are right it is fantastic, that is the reason i couldn't wait.

4. and.sleepless macrumors member

How can Mac be ahead five years when its pretty much using the same hardware as PCs?

Maybe if you were talking about the OS, then I would agree.

5. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Haime, the bottom line: Enjoy your machine!

There is always a newer model around the block, but you already have a nice machine. Whether the new models are going to support the trim command or not, there are a number of people who successfully use their MacBook Pros (MBPs) with an SSD. I've been thinking about that as well, but frankly, I'm already very happy with my machine. I'll wait a while and monitor as the SSD prices continue to drop.

Enjoy!

6. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

Way to throw caution to the wind and go big with your switch. :)

I assume you had some exposure to OS X before? Or did you simply fall in love with the 17" at the store and have to have it?

7. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

...also applies to hardware designs. It wasn't until a few years after the PowerMac G5 that higher-end PC cases became more stylish, featured thermal zones similar to the PM G5, and had easier access to drive bays.

Look at how many PC laptops these days resemble some design cues from the Pismo and the TiBook ;)

8. HdiaS4 thread starter macrumors newbie

I had some exposure before. I wanted something with lots of power. Virtual machines is the main priority for me.

9. HdiaS4 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeap that is the way i feel. Not only the OS but the battery idea is great, the unibody is badass. juts overall great machine.

10. thatguysmells macrumors regular

Can you guys explain for those who don't know, like me, haha what the heck is trim feature with ssd?

11. HdiaS4 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sure, but you can always do a google search for better explanation.

Its called Trim Command, and this has to do with how HDD work vs SSD. Computers actually don't erase data they only mark the location as valid. That is how recover my files or other programs to recover files work. That is just fine on HDD since the data will be overwritten with little to no performance lost.
    BUT on SSD the delete action is the one that takes the longest and with time after you use the SSD. The performance will start to decrease on the SSD drive with time. The reason is you are having to erase the location before you can actually write to it. Since old operating systems do not actually earse the data(mention above).

What trim does(has to be supported by the SSD and OS) is when a file is delete is a actually delete and not just marked. This will keep the performance of the drive about the same for the life of the drive(20% loss or so) because you no longer have to delete the data before you write on that space.

Hope this helps, google will do a much better job.