Hi All looking 4 info on GPS?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by potjoe, Feb 7, 2011.

1. potjoe macrumors member

New to site and looking 4 info ipod G4 and GPS (poss tomtom or ???) have u got this app if so how good and which one thanks.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

The iPod Touch doesn't have a GPS chip, so apps like TomTom aren't going to work well.

3. LeighAnna Jones macrumors 6502

If you want to buy an iPod Touch just because it can "be a GPS" then don't buy it.

First off; you need wifi to get the GPS actually working. So unless you have a wireless router plugged into your car it's not going to do you much good.

If you don't under stand...

WiFi is wireless internet.
    If a wireless network (wifi) is nearby you can join it and go online and use online apps; like wallpaper apps and GPS apps.
    The iPod touch does not get WiFi anywhere. First off; if you're zooming down the highway; you will not be able to use the GPS on it. You'd have to keep going to settings and choosing availible FREE wifi networks. (Free as in not password protected.) And sometimes there are NO wifi networks out there and no networks that are non-password protected. And once you click on one, it's gone, you'll have to click another. Therefore there is no time whatsoever to actually go to the app and see where you are going.
    Your iPod will not automatically join a network. Therefor, the iPod touch is not a terribly good idea for a GPS. Seeing that you must have wifi to operate it.

(If you're buying strictly for GPS purposes, buy a TomTom.)

4. ougum macrumors regular

Try this device with TomTom USA. Works great! http://www.gpscradle.dualav.com/

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

It would be cheaper and more reliable to buy a standalone GPS.

6. ougum macrumors regular

Yeah. You're right, but you can also use this with pretty much any other app that is gps specific.

7. potjoe thread starter macrumors member

yea thats it

Hi all thanks 4 help and thats it app on to ipod tomtom or ??? get the tom tom car kit and away u go.No need 4 the wifi part when you have the down loaded app on the pod. Well thats the way i was thinking

8. mstrze macrumors 68000

What part of 'iPod doesn't have a GPS chip' don't you understand? :D

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

Exactly. There is NO GPS chip on the iPod Touch. It doesn't matter if you have the maps or not. While wi-fi can locate you briefly, it is not going to stay there.

10. zacksba Guest

Like everyone said there is no built in GPS chip in the touch. You would need to purchase a GPSr add on to make the iPod touch a gps.

You have the tomtom car kit, magellan car kit, the DUAL GPS cradle, the Dual Bluetooth GPS receiver, the GNS 5870 GPS. and others (depending on what ipod touch version you get)

These in conjuction with the TomTom, copilot, navigon apps, etc would allow you to use it as a gps. The maps are on board and you would not need wifi.

But if this is all you are going to use it for, I agree with the recommendation that it would be cheaper to just get a standalone GPSr.

11. Brucewl macrumors 6502

Brucewl

iPod Touch do not contain GPS chip, if you want to fix your location, you need to connect with wifi. But Google Maps is enough. If you need to navigate, how can you do it when you drive a car without wifi?

12. zacksba Guest

If you decide on pursuing this, let us know what gps receiver and map app you end up getting.

Just make sure the navigation app you get puts the actual maps on your device, like tomom, copilot etc.

I believe there are some navigation apps where you would need an iphone because they are data based and in these cases, will do you no good with the GPS receiver add on.

13. ToothTooth macrumors member

Dual XGPS 150

I just got the Bluetooth GPS receiver from Dual ("Dual XGPS150") and have been using it with the Navigon MobileNavigator app on my iPod Touch 4G. I'm really very pleased with this GPS setup and no jailbreaking is required:

http://xgps150.dualav.com/

The XGPS150 costs $99 and the Navigon app (with offline mapping support) was $24.99 for east coast mapping of the US.

Here's a list of other offline mapping apps that would work great with the 4G iPod Touch and this GPS receiver.

http://bad-elf.com/support/apps-with-offline-gps-support/

14. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Hadyou tried this with Google Maps before using Navigon?

15. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

I use my iPod touch with tomtom and copilot just fine.

All you need to do is jailbreak it and get either RoqyBT or BTstackgps from cydia and use it with a Bluetooth gps dongle/mouse.

I got a dongle for £8 on eBay, works a treat! It just sits on my keyring

How does the xgps work without jail breaking?

16. ToothTooth macrumors member

The xgps has a switch with two settings. One setting is for pairing with iOS devices and the other setting is for pairing with all other devices. Its easy to use and has a small footprint even when the xgps is sitting on the dash of my car inside its non-slip pad.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. sl33pyhead macrumors member

toothtooth: this is amazing! a few questions:

how would you compare this to a dedicated device? (satellite tracking, update speeds on highways 70mph+)

battery life on the dongle?

on the website it mentions things like hiking, driving, etc which is just like a gps but what does it mean by "social networking"?

thanks a lot for your input!