Hi all, Mac novice completely stuck!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dave Jones, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Dave Jones macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I have a problem with my Macbook running 10.5.8. It was partitioned via boot camp so as I could run windows as well.

A short while ago the windows partition died (windows refused to work!) so I killed it off with boot camp and started over to reinstall windows (XP). The install got stuck, it would go through the normal process of formatting and copying files but when it went to restart (where the windows install should move off the DOS screen and on to the windows setup interface) it just started over again.

I gave up in the end removing and trying to repartition and install xp. (Bootcamp seems to have significantly slowed down as well, not sure if this is linked).

I now have three a further problems (only one partition at the mo).

The first and most annoying is that the computer won't sleep. If I shut the lid the pulsing light at the front is going (slower than it used to) but evey time it fades the apple light on the lid flickers. If I try and put it in to sleep using the apple menu the light on the front fades and when it gets to the off point the screen comes back on and it wakes up again!

I have searched for solutions to my problems. So far I've.....

1. Checked for updates
    2. Shut down and restart
    3. Turn off bluetooth
    4. Turn off the auto admin turn on function
    5. Done SMC reset
    6. Done PRAM reset
    7. Started in safe mode - problems persist.
    8. Repaired permissions

My second issue is that if I close the lid to send it to sleep while iTunes is open not only does it not sleep but when I open the lid again iTunes has a message stating it could not complete my store request?!?!?!?

My other niggle is that sometimes if I try and use the shift key and a letter it won't type it and I have to use the other shift key to get it to work! (and this swaps between the shift keys!!!)

All these bits may well be unrelated but my old copy of XP going wrong, then not being able to install XP again and the mac not sleeping in the mac os, iTunes playing up and this keyboard problem all seem to have reared their ugly heads at the same time so based on the chance that there are linked I though I better post as much info as possible.

Any help or pointers would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks in advance

Dave

2. Velin, Mar 20, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2012

Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Hmm, I'd try the PRAM/NVRAM reset one more time. I had a Lion install blow up on me, turns out a bad install image/startup was stuck in NVRAM and I simply could not get rid of it, not even using disk utility. I reset the NVRAM, tried the Lion install, worked flawlessly.

Yes I realize this is on a different partition. Maybe you can remove all the Windows install files using disk utility, format the partition as FAT32 or NTFS, and try to rerun the Windows install. Which brings up a question: did you first format your bootcamp partition as FAT32 or NTFS before running the Windows install? This may be a source of some issues. Also note if you did do FAT32, you have a partition size limitation, whereas NTFS doesn't have this limitation. Could be another source of problems. Personally I always go with NTFS.

If this were me, I know for certain I'd backup all data, wipe the drive, and go with a fresh Lion install. If that fixed the OSX-related issues, then you've solved 50% of your issues right there. Process of elimination.

Then I'd go with a fresh partition and try bootcamp again. And this time, when you go for the Windows XP install, format the partition first, no matter what.

Even on SD drives, I don't like repartitions after a failed install, and I always go for a fresh format.

3. Dave Jones thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've tried formatting the windows partition in NTFS and FAT32 (removing and then resetting up the partition in bootcamp each time). If I'm correct FAT32 is good for up to 32Gb and I'm only trying to give windows 20Gb so I didn't think it would matter? (Not that it works either way! lol).

I'll try the PRAM/NVRAM reset one more time now and report back. If not I guess I'll be going out to get an external HDD to back up on to and then a full wipe. (which I was obviously trying to avoid but hey ho!).

4. Dave Jones thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, interesting development..... just tried resetting the PRAM again and it just starts up as if I'm not pressing the keys. Tried half a dozen times but each time it just loads the mac os:(

5. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

To some of us OSX lovers, having OSX the only OS isn't what we'd call a problem. :D

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'm sure losing multi boot capability has to do with resetting PRAM and hopefully some will be along shortly that can tell you how to get it back...

6. Dave Jones thread starter macrumors newbie

Just to be clear the HDD is not partitioned at present. The Mac OS is the only OS on the machine at present.:)

7. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Well that is a bit more concerning. How old is the Macbook.

8. Dave Jones thread starter macrumors newbie