Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaisai01

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2006
just wanted to say hi, i ordered my new MBP 1.83ghz system and it should be here wednesday. i am used to using a Dual 2.0Ghz G5 that i won in a photo contest, however i gave that to my dad for video editing and have been a Windows based system user for my photo needs, however my HP took a dump, so i sprang for the MBP. any advice or help would be great if you think i might wanna know. thanks again
arul

Shamus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2006
Mad jew basically summed it up :p. Macs are pretty simple computers :).

Congratulations on the purchase. Enjoy! :)

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
But DON'T "calibrate" the battery too often. When I got my laptop a couple of years ago I read that it is good to calibrate your battery every so often, which basically means let your laptop run on battery till it runs out. So I thought it was good for the battery to run out completely, so I did it a lot because it was very convenient to not have to worry about moving the power cord to a new outlet when I moved through rooms in my apartment. This was a case of misunderstanding that had bad consequences.

In modern batteries basically every time a stored electron is discharged to run your computer the capacity for the battery to store a new charge is slightly diminished. The more you run off your battery the less charge your battery will be able to fill up to in the future. 2 years ago when my good ol' 1 ghz Albook was new it could hold somewhere around 3+ hours of battery life at normal settings. Now my battery can hold maybe 45 minutes when I use the longest battery life setting in Energy Saver and keep my screen at it's dimmest, but with airport still turned on. Heed my words, only run off the battery when you have to.

I don't want to scare you into not using your laptop when you're on the go, it works incredibly well for that, but I am saying don't do it any more than you have to. If you frequently use your laptop in two rooms then I'd suggest either going to the trouble of moving your power supply cord with you every time you switch rooms or invest in a second power supply cord to keep plugged in in both rooms.

And one more thing... have fun!

jaisai01

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2006
thanks guys, i really appreciate the help.. i have been wanting a new lappy for a while, but just graduating from college and trying to get the real life started was different. but tmo is the day ... i ll post some pics when i get it. thanks
arul

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.