Hi all, newbie questions regarding apps folder, mac apps and config

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macnoob99, Aug 14, 2010.

1. macnoob99 macrumors newbie

hello people
    im really new into the world of macs after 20 years using windows and even though its with hardware and os, pretty easy to learn, im having some questions:

1.- Applications folder <- I installed a lot of apps, all of them added icons to it until i installed adobe cs5 master and filled it with folders , did i do anything wrong or it just work like this? can i get ride of the folders without compromising adobe apps? Not that they are bothering me but the folder looked so nice with just icons instead of subfolders

2.- is there a manual about what kind of config can be done in macs to get the best performance out of them. Im not a power user, but i like to mess with such settings, else ill just never learn

Any other advice regarding myself being a first time user, is always welcome.

Thank you in advance

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Are you asking if you can take applications out of child folders and put it back into the parent? Yes.

Not an official manual, but you can google "performance optimization os x" or some similar combination of keywords and you'll find a wealth of information.

As far as other advice, bookmark Mroogle and search for your questions before starting new threads. Odds are it's already been answered multiple times, and you'll learn a lot in reading the old threads.

3. psxguru macrumors 6502a

CS5 is different to the vast majority of installers, it does install lots of different folders in Applications.

Most people would just leave them as is and drag the most used CS5 app icons to the dock for quick access (ie it creates a shortcut). If you do move them you might confuse the updater down the road.

4. macnoob99 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks man, i got some mac for dummies ebooks so i can learn more, thanks for your help

5. Relentlos macrumors member

Relentlos

yeah I wouldn't move them from the default locations in case the updater gets confused, or the app itself may not perform properly.

What I do for my apps is drag some of the most frequently used apps into the dock, I have about 18 total, including the trash. I like to keep the dock relatively small, whereas others like to have large docks spanning the entire bottom of their screen.

Anyway, the other apps that I use often enough (but aren't in the dock) are in another folder I made and placed in my Finder's side bar. I just created Aliases (shortcuts) to the most used ones and placed them in there so they're easy to find. It's a much shorter list without folders or other apps I hardly use. If something I need is not there, then I can just go to the main applications folder and find it.