Hi Def Camcorder or HDV Camcorder? PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by BipolarNick, Nov 26, 2009.

1. BipolarNick macrumors newbie

Hi, I am looking to get a new camcorder to make some indi films etc. I have a lot of editing experience in Final Cut, but I don't know what kind of camcorder I want to get, I'm not going TOO fancy or anything, I am a student at the University of Cincinnati and I am learning media design and film,,, this camcorder is just meant to have good indoor and outdoor picture and to get my money's worth.

Right now I have a Sony Handycam MiniDV I bought back in 2005 but I feel that I need to update to get better quality. I am simply making these videos for experience and to get the main point across. Can someone please help me suggest good camcorders for TODAYS standard that will last me a while AND that will work with MAC obviously. Thank you

2. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

This is one of the most often posted question on this forum and it's not an easy one to answer, as the opinions on the matter are diverse and sometimes heated.

I'd approach this by first asking a few initial questions:

1) What's your budget? Don't forget accessories and other cost of ownership items that comprise the total cost.
    2) SD or HD? HD's all the rage right now but that doesn't mean that HD is the right answer for everyone. There are some amazingly fantastic indie pieces out there that are done on SD.
    3) Tape or tapeless? Again, strong arguments for both. Some like the archival benefits of tape and some prefer the faster transfer, as opposed to capturing in real time, that recording to memory cards offers.

Answering these three questions for yourself will go a long way towards making a decision...

3. BipolarNick thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I don't care about tape or hard drive, I just want great quality camcorder that is up to date for todays standard and I don't want to spend over 800 dollars for a camcorder alone. I want something that is good, reliable, and gives me great picture for making indi stuff at a nice standard. I was looking more at HD(Hi def) than HDV, but does it matter,

is HDV out of date, should just got to HD and lose the tape. PERSONALLY it doesnt matter, I just up to date and I want best for my buck.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You appear to be crippled by misinformation. HDV is a high-definition format. It is one of the high definition formats that use mini DV tape are its recording medium.

You should put this notion of "out-of-date" out of your head. You may walk into any drug store and buy VHS tapes, a format that is about 35 years old. It is not as popular as it used to be, but it is still supported. mini DV and its supported video formats are nowhere near 35 years old. They have decades to go.

5. BipolarNick thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much, I'll start looking at HDV camcorders, I was mainly trying to learn between the two. Thank you very much.

6. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    I personally went w/ an HV20 purchase in Spring of this year. It records to tape, but I like that because then I can archive easily.

I'm looking to do start doing more w/ my camera and am looking on a more pro model to purchase. I think I may just be going with an XH-A1 (or what's the newer model, XH-A1?) for that. That camera will prob be around $3k mark though - I'll try to see if I can find used.

7. BipolarNick thread starter macrumors newbie

Regarding the HV20, is it good for the good price, is the outside / inside lighting good and the HDV tapes good on mac. I was looking at that, but I was looking at Sony's too. I didn't know if Sony and Canon have the same quality.