Hi frame rate video cameras

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by rdsii64, Jul 3, 2010.

1. rdsii64 macrumors regular

I have been looking at doing some high speed video of my trips to the desert with my rifles. My intent is to create extreme slow motion video of objects getting hit with the bullet. I originally wanted the Casio EX-F1 because of the high frame rates. Unless I'm wrong the video format that camera shoots doesn't play well with imove or Final cut express without transcoding first. If at all possible I would like to stay away from having to converting file types to edit. What I am hoping for is a camera with comparible frame rates as the EX-F1 that records in a format that either imovie or final cut express can edit. I would like to keep the price under 1000.00 but I understand that high frame rate cameras are expensive and that may not be an option.

2. handsome pete macrumors 68000

With the consumer cameras like the EX-F1, chances are they are going to shoot a format that needs to be transcoded. A lot of these cameras use h264.

Also, these cameras also shoot their high speed video at very low resolutions (much less than Standard Definition even).

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

4. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Not fast enough I think!

I would stick with the Casio, it's a decent camera on its own and the next best hi speed camera is in about the $10,000 mark!

I found this good little write up which gives you a pretty good idea of what you expect!

http://www.jefflewis.net/blog/2009/03/casio_exf1_first_impression_1.html

5. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

Bullets are fast...but you know this if you're a shooter.

Even a slow bullet (1000fps)...say a 45acp, travels 1 foot per minute. If your field of view is a couple of feet...you'll at least need 500fps video but that'll blur significantly. If you're attempting to "catch" a 30-06 or 7mm bullet, you're much closer to 3000fps, at 3 feet per second, you'll need almost 10,000 fps to catch each "foot" the bullet travels. To actually catch the point of impact (a lightbulb, iceblock, etc), you'll need 3-5 times that speed...

An easier option would be to attempt a "still" shot of the impact. Using high speed sync with a flash, in a controlled environment with some sort of trigger (to release your shutter upon firing)...you can get shutter speeds of 1/4000, even 1/8000 of a second. Using flash sync (no where near THAT quick), you MAY be able to catch a bullet for less than 10 grand.

Otherwise, TRUE high speed cameras that catch the kind of impact you're talking about...at usable resolutions with sharp results will cost the price of a new car or three;) I shoot with an EX1 and HVX200a...I can adjust frame rates and shutter speeds on these cameras, but not for the type of effect your after...this has more to do with the "look" of the video vs. slowing down say 60fps in a 24 or 30p timeline.

Do some research on still, high speed capture. It's much more cost effective, and the film is "Free" these days shooting digital. You'll get instantaneous feedback on your shot too.

Good Luck

j

6. rdsii64 thread starter macrumors regular

slow motion impacts

Yep bullets are pretty fast. my 50 grain vmax .223 bullets leave the muzzle at 3500 FPS. a camera that can capture a bullet moving that fast is WAY OUT OF MY PRICE RANGE. What i am looking to do is slow down the target impact to capture more detail. If I could video the impact of a water filled milk jug or a mellon at 600 frames per second instead of 30 frames per second I could capture much more detail during the play back at 15 frames per second.

7. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

The last time I photographed that kind of stuff (tracer rounds), I used an old Redlake 16mm high-speed film camera at 1,000 fps and got decent results. The trouble is that you really won't find digital cameras that can record that fast at any price.

8. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

http://www.visionresearch.com/index.cfm?sector=htm/files&page=selector

A number of those Phantom cameras will do 1080p @ 1000fps and beyond. They cost more than a lot of cars though. Hell, some googling seems to show they cost as much as a Mac Pro just for a 1-day rental.