Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sol77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2011
Hi, ive a mac pro 8 core 6 gigs of ram....today the machine will not get past the white, apple logo and spinning wheel....ive tried hardware test - ALL was good. I even tried the 'extended' testing again NO problem...Strange thing is ive tried to boot from cd and it keeps crashing. I cant even access the utilities mode. I have also tried a safe boot - this just made it hang...but this time without the logo - it was just blank grey screen....I have a lot of music production work stored and need to access it asap....any help or suggestions to this would help me so much, im at my wits end :( Please, please help! Merry Christmas to you all!!

Paratel

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2005
Somewhere in the US
Have you changed your video card? Might be a ram problem. You are going to need to eliminating things like a bad RAM stick, a HDD Problem, etc. I know when ugrading to LION min MacPRo hung up on the grey screen and the little wheel would spin and then just stop with nothing. turns out it was a bad video card.

sol77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2011
Hi paratel, thanks for that. I havent upgraded to lion...its still on snow leopard 10.6.8. It was working this morning no problems until i went out and the screen went a bit bizare on the screen saver. I turned off the mac (holding down the switch) because it had crashed and upon restarting the only thing that happened was the apple logo and timer....after a few seconds i tried to test any button - now heres the wierd part...skype could be heard starting up and my vulume keys were both audible!!!! but the screen was still on the apple white screen with circle timer stopped.....what else do you think it might be?

Paratel

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2005
Somewhere in the US
input the snowleopard CD and boot from the CD and run the disk repair utility. if that doesn't work. I am at a loss. You could do a dirty install of snow leopard.

Loa

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2003
Québec
Hello,

To access the data: pull the hard drive from the mac and put it in another Mac with enclosure if necessary.

My guess is that your vid card is defective. Can you try another?

Loa

sol77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2011
Thanks guys, just to update....I removed the RAM then put them back and guess what.....it started up!!! I checked the 'about this mac' and it was reading the FULL 8 gigs of ram that was installed....It then was working flawlessly for 30 mins then the strangest thing happened...the machine and my mouse clicker started to miss movements and then the machine really slowed down. I did a shutdown holding the power off...and....it happened again :( white screen with the apple logo and timer. It probably IS the graphics card as I did manage to test the ram and it was reading the full 8 gigs. Any other suggestions before I buy a new graphics card? Also for a 2008 mac pro 2.8 eight core which graphics card is best suited? Thanks once again for your help guys :) Merry Christmas!!

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
Thanks guys, just to update....I removed the RAM then put them back and guess what.....it started up!!! I checked the 'about this mac' and it was reading the FULL 8 gigs of ram that was installed....It then was working flawlessly for 30 mins then the strangest thing happened...the machine and my mouse clicker started to miss movements and then the machine really slowed down. I did a shutdown holding the power off...and....it happened again :( white screen with the apple logo and timer. It probably IS the graphics card as I did manage to test the ram and it was reading the full 8 gigs. Any other suggestions before I buy a new graphics card? Also for a 2008 mac pro 2.8 eight core which graphics card is best suited? Thanks once again for your help guys :) Merry Christmas!!

5770 does the job for me and will work in your model but I'm waiting till the 7000 series. Hopefully we get the upgrade.

OLDCODGER

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
Lucky Country

Your symptoms still indicate a bad ram stick. As I said before, try one stick at a time - with only minimal apps running. Best of luck.

Vapor matt

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2010
UK
Hi, if your mac went all funny while in screen saver mode it could well be bad GFX memory, I would put my money on the GFX card gone bad.

easy test, try 1 memory stick, if it fails with 1 stick try another, if that fails chances are 2 sticks will not have gone bad, so it point to video memory on the GFX card in your mac, so it might be upgrade time for that.:)

least its xmas a good excuse to upgrade your mac!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.