Hi, help with my first Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NeoMorph, Jan 27, 2015.

1. NeoMorph, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2015

NeoMorph macrumors newbie

Hi everyone I might be getting my first Mac tomorrow and it's a A1927 model? With a core 2 duo 17" screen does anyone know if that's a good one to get for my first time and can it run the latest apps and yosmite? Thanks I've added a picture of the add if it helps

Attached Files:

2. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

It looks like a mid 2009 model. You can upgrade to Yosemite. You will not get some of the Yosemite features (you don't have bluetooth 4.0), but most things will work.

4 GB ram is good for web and documents. Most things work fine with 4 GB. This machine can use 8 GB max, so you can upgrade if you do things like virtual machines.

A SSD upgrade is something to think about if it feels slow.

Good luck on your first Mac.

3. NeoMorph thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply, I will mainly use it for internet and watching DVDs and movies I've downloaded and general computer stuff nothing too intense and I don't use Bluetooth anyway :) long as it runs smooth with yosmite and no slowdown or anything? Is it worth spending a bit more and getting a mid 2010 or isn't it worth it thanks

----------

What are some of the things I won't get?

4. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

The newer models will usually have a bit faster CPU and graphics. If you just use it for web and movies you will be ok with either.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/macbook-pro-unibody-faq/differences-between-macbook-pro-13-15-17-inch-mid-2010-and-mid-2009.html

This site says that the 2010 has a better trackpad (inertial, allows flicking), bigger battery, and the display port supports audio and video on the same port.

-----

The Yosemite features that you need bluetooth for are for using a iPhone/iPad with a Mac. You can be browsing something on your phone and jump to the Mac and continue where you left off (and vice-versa). You can send SMS messages from a Mac, but this only needs WiFi and an iPhone (no bluetooth).

Basically if you don't use any i-device and just want the Mac you won't be missing much.

5. NeoMorph thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the info and I think I'm gonna go for this one now as its not much more but it's newer and has the i5 And I also have a iPhone 5s

Attached Files:

6. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

7. NeoMorph thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a spare ssd from my old pc will that work its a corsair one?

8. Raunien macrumors 6502

Yes as long as it's a 2.5 inch drive it will work.

9. NeoMorph thread starter macrumors newbie

got it

hi everyone i got my new mac today the A1278 13" early 2011 and I'm pleased with it so far,

how would i go about upgrading to a ssd is it easy??

10. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

Make sure all updates are installed before you start. In particular the firmware update. This model can use internet recovery to download OSX after you put in the SSD.

You need a screwdriver and keep track of which screw goes where. Take a piece of paper, draw circles on it, and label the circles based on where you got the screw from. There should only be two types of screws (outside screws and hard drive screws) but this is good practice.

After everything is put back together, you turn on the mac and hold down ⌘ + R until you get to the recovery screen. You can then use the reinstall OSX option and follow the instructions. It will be a 5 GB download and some installation. On fast internet it should take about an hour.