Hi : ) !!! - How often do you change your iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by igmolinav, Oct 21, 2014.

1. igmolinav macrumors 65816

Hi,

How often should one person change his/her iPhone ??
    How long should one expect it to live ??

I still have an iPhone 1, (the first model). Due to short
    battery life and to restrictions using applications like
    whatsapp, is that I have purchased a newer iPhone
    '4S' or '4s'. But the big question for me, is how long
    should I expect it to live, and how long should I expect
    it to stay functional? It is a b?tÇh to be changing a
    phone so often. It has a toll on the planet and things
    should be made to last and at the same time be cost
    efficient, (at least, that is something I hear people
    talking quite a bit).

Thank you in advance, kind regards,

igmolinav : ) !!!

2. mcvite macrumors member

mcvite

I normally change my iphone every 2 years,when my EE mobile contract is up for renewal.

3. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi,

Thank you for your message : ) !!!

I don't have a contract. So, basically
    it is more or less until the phone
    almost dies.

Kind regards,

igmolinav : ) !!!

4. Nyy8 macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

Hey igmolinav,

What's going on?

As far as phones go, each person has different needs. I personally get a new phone every year. I've gone from 5-->5s-->6. It's just something to keep the year exciting for me. One of those smalls things you treat yourself too.

It sounds like you are just using your phone for messaging, maybe phone calls? your 4s could probably use whatsapp, and phone calls. Basic stuff for another 4 years, 5 if you want to stretch it. Your good for now. Enjoy the new phone!

But since you don't have a contract, feel free to upgrade when you would like. It's up to you, and the phone meeting your needs.

5. andy9l macrumors 68000

It's cheaper and preferable in the UK to buy a new iPhone every year from Apple and use a SIM-only contract.

I haven't signed a phone contract for about 4 years now. Never want to again.

Every year I spend about £350-400, which includes the latest iPhone with unlimited data (with tethering), unlimited calls, unlimited texts.

Contracts are usually ~£1000+ over 24 months for one new iPhone. This method works out at £700-800 for two new iPhones and a much better tariff.

This is in the UK, of course, and relies on you selling your previous iPhone every 12 months for market price.

As someone else has mentioned, a phone is also my 'yearly thing' as it's the device I spend the most time using, and a Mac my 3-5 yearly thing depending on what Apple release.

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

use to be every 2 years(contract phones) this was the first phone I puchased in full so I will likely use it untill it starts to die

7. oXoHELENoXo macrumors newbie

I have the iPhone 5 on contract with ee which costs £45/£55 but I always go over my allowence and end up paying £70-80, so now my contacts up I brought my iphone 6 from Apple and I'm on giffgaff which is £18 a month for 2000 minutes, unlimited text and internet so will work out extremely less for me

8. andy9l macrumors 68000

Best way of doing it. Remember to sell your iPhone 6 next year before the event, then buy the 6s for half-price. Keep doing this and you'll forever pay 50% for a new unlocked iPhone from Apple.

I constantly hear of people going over contract on EE. I'm not convinced they even track it properly. My girlfriend gets repeatedly charged more than her contract and she barely uses it. She's moving away asap too.

Enjoy the freedom, anyway :)