Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

poematik13

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2014
I have a 15" mid 2012 MBP (2.3, 16gb ram, 650m 512, samsung 840 evo 750gb) that I am planning to rip out the optical drive and replace it with an optibay and a 2nd SSD. I am considering of doing a raid 1 or 0....but they don't make the 750gb 840 anymore....does RAID require 2 drives of the exact same spec/size/etc or can I add a 250gb evo to the optibay and raid it with the 750 to make a 1TB setup.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Why do RAID 0 or 1 inside the same computer using SSDs? RAID 0 strip will likely not give you any faster read/write speeds but the full storage capacity of both drives. And if you lose one SSD, you have lost the entire volume until you replace the drive and restore from backup. I don't see any business case for this approach.

With RAID 1 you get high availability so that you should be able ti still work if one drives bites the dust. But RAID 1 is by no means of still having backups outside the computer....ideally in a Time Capsule or a NAS where it is less vulnerable. Given that an SSD has no moving parts, I don't see any business case for a RAID 1 configuration inside a MBP.

Suggestion: save all this SSD money and put it on a new rMBP. Either get a refurbed one with warranty....you can get $500 off compared to a new maxed out rMBP. Or just wait for the hardware refresh that should be announced in Sept. In any case, get with an all solid state machine with TB2, AC wifi, and energy efficient CPU and chipset.

poematik13

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2014
I do keep weekly backups to an external 1TB drive.

Also, I thought having 2 ssd's in raid 0 would increase the speed considerably? Like 900mb/s?

A new mac doesn't really seem enticing for me at this point, i mostly edit movies and play games and this machine has yet to choke on either. Of course, other machines can do it a lot faster. The new rMBP has TB2 which is nice because I work off TB drives frequently. I dunno. I'll wait till next year when they have DDR4 memory and something better than the 750m gpu.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.